PDA

View Full Version : ATR vs E170

Aussie
24th Aug 2007, 15:56
Gday all,

Wondering if i could get the opinions of some fellow pilots working in the aussie airlines...

I have an offer.... either the ATR72 or EMB170/175. I want to return to Aus in the future and would like to know what is the better choice...

If i go with the ATR ill get command within 2 yrs, and if i go the EMB i wont see command for at least 8yrs at this stage (things could change but cant count on it).

SO whats better to have applying for the airlines in aus... TP command time or FO jet time?

Cheers in advance!

international hog driver
24th Aug 2007, 16:16
Take the Jungle Jet

Reason.
ATRs in Oz = Makair/Jetcraft = live nowhere & night freight.:yuk:

E170 in Oz = VB or Skyairworld = real world and variable.;)

Plus:
Bags of turbine command never got me closer to my real goal (but i had a lot of fun along the way).
After my first jet rating doors started opening which have now secured the lifestyle that I want that satisifies my aviation bug, financial needs and family.:ok:

Go the Jungle:E

Aussie
25th Aug 2007, 14:05
Thanks for the reply, anyone else care to comment?

Only one problem with ya theory,

You need 500hrs command, and i dont and if i go with EMB wont have that!

Cheers

Gen. Anaesthetic
25th Aug 2007, 15:10
Aussie,

Not sure if I understand your post, but what do you need 500 hours command for? As I understand it you only need 500 multi command if you're going to command low capacity RPT, but that doesn't apply to high capacity RPT, which is where you'll end up.

So the choice to me comes down to, are command hours going to give me more options in the future or are jet hours? Either way you can easily enough end up with a command, and jet time appears to be opening more doors these days. In that sense I agree with the hog, although I can't offer first hand experience on the matter. For what it's worth, my advice is stay away from McScare. That is first hand experience.

Dixons Cider
26th Aug 2007, 06:51
rightly or wrongly, jet time will always open more doors and give you more options than than any amount of turboprop time, regardless of seat.
Found that out the hard way.

Aussie
26th Aug 2007, 12:51
Gday guys

Thanks for the advice, sounds like the jungle beast is the way to go...

I read on the VB webiste though, that you require at least 500hrs multi command time....unless thats changed recently, ill still have the issue of not having that time.

Cheers

Warped Wings
27th Aug 2007, 03:46
VB requirements straight from their website;

Australian ATPL or CPL with ATPL Theory Subjects
Australian Multi Engine Command Instrument Rating
Australian Class 1 Medical Certificate
Total Flying Time - 1000 hours (must include at least 500 hours on Multi Engine Aircraft)
Must be an Australian citizen or have the right to residency

So multi time does not have to be in command.

WW

cunninglinguist
27th Aug 2007, 10:50
Tough one Aussie, as warped has pointed out VB and JQ require command time.
VB and JQ both hire plenty of T/Prop only guys as do airlines all over the world.
Having EMB endo would make entry to VB or Skyairworld or maybe Airnorth cheaper, but not necessarily easier, as already mentioned, the big 3 ( or 4 if you count NJS ) all hire plenty of T/Prop only guys.
As an aside, F/O time if you want to get into O/S contract work is also arguably less usefull, unless on 737,320, 747 etc.
Also, either way, you will go to the back of the line no matter which airline you join in Oz, wether jet F/O rated or T/Prop command rated ( unless you have airbus time and used to wear a blue shirt :{ )