PDA

View Full Version : Scruff.

Al R
24th Aug 2007, 12:55
I asked the other day, if anyone had heard of Scruff Oliver. I received loads of replies; the ones which were saddest to me were the ones telling me that he had died earlier this year with a brain tumour.

I didn't realise he was such a character although looking back, I should have realised. I didn't realise too, that he flew the Lightning, which he never mentioned all those years ago. It was Scruff (although he never realised it) and a Royal Marine who made the prospect of joining the Regiment appealing enough for me to give it a go. He ran weekend holidays in SW Wales and I made an introduction to the shotgun there. I remember too, the tale he told about how he almost crashed flying over Port Talbot steelworks in a single engined something or other, because his engine cut out through particulate matter in the smoke plumes.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to me. I am that little bit little sadder today, because although I didn't know him very well, he did make an impact on me, and because although I wouldn't presume to put myself in his league, its still another one of 'us' gone. And only 65 too.

<<raises his glass tonight to Scruff>> smiley

soddim
24th Aug 2007, 17:02
I'll have one for you tonight, scruff.

The consumate party man - great organiser of 6 Sqn functions in the F4 days - always enjoyed them to the full. Really enjoyed it when the RN solicited his services for a visit to Limasol by Hermes. Helped him to set up the girls for those parties and enjoyed the spin-off invitations to all of them.

Difficult man to keep up with socially. Got me in a whole load of trouble when wifey discovered we had shared a hire car in Cyprus.

Great chap to party with and not too shabby with stick and rudder either.

Bet the social scene in the next world is better for his presence.

RIP Scruff.

safetypee
24th Aug 2007, 20:08
Many fond memories from Leuchars and 23Sqn. Scruff was a most innovative armaments officer for dining in nights. I recall exploding Ret Tops, Chicken vs Cat fights across the top table (Red Eagles vs Tigers) and Green Pee amongst many others. And there was something about 3 Red Eagles and a lady on a white horse in Limassol, unfortunately I was not on that Lightning detachment. I’m sure he went down fighting!

DICK DOLEMAN
25th Aug 2007, 17:24
What sad news, 'Scruff' was a huge character and a lovely guy. I first came across him when he arrived for his Lightning refresher course at Coltishall in 1971. In those days it was the custom that Officers, on arrival at their new unit, deposited their calling cards on the silver salver in the foyer of Mess reception. These cards were normally very formal. I noted 'Scruff's' card lying in the tray and it read:

'The internationally famous Scruff Oliver has arrived
' Raconteur, Rip**** and Ram'

Beneath this introduction was the cartoon image of an ant on its back.

A great character who will be sorely missed.