PDA

View Full Version : IR(A) befor entering ATPL

Cpt.Petursson
24th Aug 2007, 12:24
I finishd my ppl this summer and as I'm only 17 I won't be entering ATPL until i finish college(3 years left). I want to know if anybody has taken IR befor entering ATPL?? Is that possible and will it do me any god?? I was thinkin about takin IR nex summer or the summer after if it saves my the time of taking it after ATPL.

MIKECR
24th Aug 2007, 13:14
In that case you will have to study and sit all the IR written examinations. Nearly as bad as doing all the ATPL's.

demomonkey
25th Aug 2007, 17:53
Captain P

Well done on passing your PPL. In regard to your question, I would recommend against doing your IR now. My reasons for this would be;

1. The Single Pilot ME IR is probably the most demanding flying you will ever have to complete in your life. Ask anyone who has done it! Trying to convince your body it is good to 16 things at once is no mean feat!

2. Although I haven't done one myself, a PPL/IR on a single engine aircraft will be easier than its ME equivalent, so unless you want to pay to get a ME Class Rating as well I would avoid it.

3. If you want full information on the pre-requisites and the exam itself check LASORS. See Section E.

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591

4. Doing some instrument work prior to entering an ATPL course will obviously make the flying stage of the course easier for you. You might want to try an IMC rather than the full IR because it's substantially cheaper and more appropriate to flying singles.

Anyway, whatever you do, enjoy it and keep flying!

DM!

Cpt.Petursson
29th Aug 2007, 16:50
what rights will an IMC rating give me?

Curtis E Carr
29th Aug 2007, 18:18

Outside the UK, none.

High Wing Drifter
29th Aug 2007, 18:51
what rights will an IMC rating give me?In the UK IFR in IMC and instrument approaches in airspace classes G to D. VFR on top in countries that permit it, like France. Hours credit towards an FAA IR.

Luke SkyToddler
29th Aug 2007, 19:19
It's a requirement that you have to have the ATPL theory credits before you can enrol on an IR course.

If for some reason you really want an IR but never want to hold an ATPL, I believe there is a theory course you can do for the IR only, but then if you change your mind in the future you have to do all the ATPL subjects again. Which is why nobody does it.

demomonkey
30th Aug 2007, 19:59
The ground exams for a CPL(A) are 12 and the ground exams for the ATPL(A) are 14. In practise people who only need a CPL still tend to do the additional 2 exams just in case they ever wanted to turn it into a full ATPL. I don't know which subjects the 2 are however.

Simply, an IMC will allow you to fly in IMC and also enter controlled airspace (some restrictions) under IFR. However, the benefit of an IMC on your PPL is that it lets you enjoy the privileges of your PPL without having to be as restricted by the changeable UK weather. But as most club aircraft don't have de-icing equipment, don't expect to go cruising the airways at FL80 at 95kts. ATC might get a little :mad:

Good luck, dm

Hour Builder
30th Aug 2007, 21:03
You could go to USA, get the FAA Single engine IR.

This will give you a UK IMC without doing anything other then paying the CAA and showing them your FAA licence with IR, and they endorced IMC on your licence.

The FAA IR also reduces your JAR ME IR course when you are ready to do it. It reduces from either a 55 or 50 hour course, to a 20 hour (there are other ways too) course, consisting of 13hrs sim, 7 in a/c.

FAA IR is a good way of killing two birds with one stone. Better option for hour building as it's more productive, and gives the above credit towards the IR, as well as 10 hours reduciton on the JAR SE CPL course.

HB

ps, there are 9 exams for JAR CPL, 7 for IR (A), and 14 total for ATPL.

Cpt.Petursson
31st Aug 2007, 12:07
Quote:
In the UK IFR in IMC and instrument approaches in airspace classes G to D. VFR on top in countries that permit it, like France. Hours credit towards an FAA IR.

So as I live in Iceland an IMC rating won't do any thing for me???

If I tak the IFR course do I need to take all the theory aigin for ATPL?