PDA

View Full Version : ARDROX® 140B,aircraft washing,fuel draining ??

cressidom
24th Aug 2007, 01:15
Good day all,

I work for an FBO that houses A couple of GIV's Lear's etc. I notice very frequently the tech / mechs draining fuel from under the wings.They said it's something to do with 'bio parisite' cleaning some fuel additive thingy(not sure the term used).IS regular draining required ??

Also ARDROX® 140B (not sure if this is the cleaning shampoo) on aircrafts...
The same mechs/techs keep washing the aircrafts in the hangar out of the sun.Claiming there will be streaks if it dries up quickly etc.etc.(i beg to differ)
I've seen other FBO's washing airplanes out in the sun/wind.

Can anyone please clear my doubts/confusion ?

Thank you

NutLoose
24th Aug 2007, 11:53
Ok on the fuel one, he is telling you the truth, you get a mold forming between the water that collects by the drain points and the fuel, this is called hormoconis resinae if memory serves me right and produces a mold similar to the stuff you find on window frames... this is seriously bad as it can block filters and seriously damage tanks etc.....Therefore frequent draining of the water from the tanks helps prevent this.. the little blighters live on the water and feed off the fuel. Being in the climate you are in ( Malasia) it will be even worse, so there dilligence is beyond reproach..

please read for a more accurate description

http://www.conidia.com/downloads/INFORMATION%20SHEET%201.pdf

http://www.cabi-bioscience.org/docs/pdf/conidiabioscience.pdf

As for streaking I can totally agree with them, especially if it is warm.....

In the shade and cooler away from direct sunlight it will be easier to clean and prevent streaking forming due to it drying rapidly..

I would go with they are telling you on both counts.

cressidom
25th Aug 2007, 00:50
hey Loose...

Thanks much for the insight. Thought those mechs were 'yanking my chain'.
..Oh well guess I'd have to live with a wet hangar...

Cheers

NutLoose
29th Aug 2007, 11:47
you could always try a little area on your own outside ;)

stankou
31st Aug 2007, 11:37
Hi cressidom,

the water draining of the fuels tanks have two main reasons:
1 is to avoid any bio contamination as NutLoose has explained before. Several kind of fongus can growth up in the tanks and after a while, very big troubles can occur during flight ( i.e; fuel filter blocking with power loss or IFSD). to prevent that, a lot of A/C makers highly recommend to add some biocidal solutions like Biobor recurently, depending on where the A/c operates. the worst is in tropical condition, with high condensation in the tanks and high moisture rate witch help the fongus growth up.
the second is to avoid ice formation in fuel tubes at high altitude with all associated troubles.