PDA

View Full Version : So near and yet so far!

BrianPNorman
23rd Aug 2007, 14:43
I am close to finishing my PPL but lack of instructors, lack of weather and my work schedule are conspiring to prevent me finishing.

I am thinking of trying to arrange something with an overseas school for however many days it will take and to get it done in one go.

Anyone else done this? Any recommendations?

ps I am in the UK which you might have guessed from my weather comment!

Fuji Abound
23rd Aug 2007, 15:00
Depending on your school and assuming you are talking about within the next month personally I would book a week off work, having looked at the long range weather and then nab an instructor to fly with you whenever the weather is good enough.

It is surprising, if you are prepared to sit around, you will often get to fly at some point during the day. Also I have a sneaky feeling we might be in for a good week or so!

If that fails I might consider Portugal. There is a good school there, it is cheap and easy to get to, and the weather is pretty much guaranteed at this time of year.

I wouldnt bother with the States. You will find the procedures there are different, the travel and visa stuff is a hassle and whilst perhaps worthwhile if you are starting out, not worth it late in your PPL.

Good luck.

BrianPNorman
23rd Aug 2007, 15:03
Thanks for that.

Any more details on who what where in Portugal?

Cheers

Fuji Abound
23rd Aug 2007, 16:41
http://www.fly-in-spain.com/en/index.php

http://www.aeroalgarve.com/algarve-general-aviation.htm

hkeng
23rd Aug 2007, 21:28
Hi everyone
This is my first posting here.
I am in the same situation as BrianPNorman.I started my PPL 2 years ago, due to various reasons I don't seem to be able to reach the final stage. I did take 3 weeks leave off work, but as ususal ,weather, waterlogged airfield, aircraft and instructor issues get in the way, and I am very frustrated:ugh:. I am in the motion of getting to States to finish it off, but as you say, it may not worth it. I also had make equiry about doing it in France. But your suggestion of Portugo seems a good idea, can you let me know what school it is? I appreciate any experience and advice regarding PPL training, UK or abroad. Many thanks

BrianPNorman
25th Aug 2007, 15:24
Last week it all looked hopeless. :ugh:

Today I managed to get an instructor, a PA28 and some good weather arranged all at the same time. 1.5 Solo nav ex and a nice landing so feeling a lot happier now. :)

Lets hope it lasts.

Fuji Abound
25th Aug 2007, 15:50
Told you it would :)

.. .. .. and all of next week is looking reasonable (unless you are in the north east of Scotland) - take a week off or a day or two, book the instructor now and you will be amazed how much you get done.

The trouble is everyone does an hour here and hour there (I know that is all that is possible for some) but the weather will get in the way - make hay while the sun shines - many many years ago I took a week off to finish my PPL when the weather looked set fair - and that was that - all done including the GFT. I'd recommend it.