PDA

View Full Version : How much do BA cadets get?

femaleflyer
10th Jan 2001, 18:07
Hi everyone,
I'm applying for the BA cadet programme and am wondering how much the basic salary is once they've completed the training and are given a job.
Ta,
The female

Pandora
11th Jan 2001, 23:34
When I was a cadet this seemed to be closely guarded secret. I reality it is just very complicated to explain. The basic salary is £22215 to start with. Then there are the allowances, which are different according to the base you end up at. Heathrow is considered to be the juiciest, but you'll probably end up at Gatwick (when they give you that preference form at the end of training don't think they'll actually look at it). Allowances are £5-9000 in the first year - but none for the first 3 months. So all those nights somewhere expensive (if you're Gatwick) buy your food out of your own pocket. Oh - and don't forget, there is £250 a month of your own salary for the first 5 years which you will never see, due to repayment of your training loan.

Cu
12th Jan 2001, 17:22
Hi. A Topic I'm very interested in too, and I have a few other questions. Pandora, I don't suppose you could give a rough estimate of how much money you ended up having to spend whilst on your course? What sort of preferences were you offered on completion? Do you happen to know what aircraft/base is most commonly assigned? Sorry for the interrogation, but I haven't managed to find this info anywhere else. Many thanks!

Cu.

hamgreen
12th Jan 2001, 20:20
Having comleted the Cadet Scheme about a year ago, some of this may be out of date....

BA pay for all accomodation, and give you £30 per week pocket money. I was in America and ended up spending about £3000 on top of that. GASP! I hear you cry! The life style is up to you really...BA do pay for your journy out there and one trip home during the year, but if you want to go home more than that, you'll have to pay for it yourself. Also we all bought cars out there...but if you want to keep costs down, transport is provided...but you'll find it a bit dull if you don't spend some money out there.

As for preferences when you join the company....you say what you would like, they then are told what places are available, and everything is dished out in age order on the course, (oldest has first choice). On my course, over half went to LHR (737, 75/76, and Airbus), and only a few went to LGW. Although I think that most at the moment are going to LGW. The Regional placements are not as common.

Pay...you do get some expences during training, but only if you're NOT at LHR. They provided hotels and all the usual night stop allowances. And during line training, the only thing that you don't receive is the Flying Hour Rate for the first 15 or so sectors that you have the safety pilot with you. I'm now bring home not less than £1800 per month (most of the time), but you do have to pay for you food down route...

Hope this answers some of you questions ,

HG

Cu
13th Jan 2001, 00:08
Cheers HG.

Cuban_8
13th Jan 2001, 02:52
HG,

Any idea of the opportunities to be based at MAN when you join the company??

Cheers,

Cuban

P.S. Why did you all buy cars out there???