PDA

View Full Version : Chief Pilot Grounded?

Brian Abraham
23rd Aug 2007, 05:03
Rumour has it that a highly esteemed and respected chief pilot of an off shore organisation has been grounded for a month. Story has it that a new Co-pilot was not satisfied with his ability to fly the approach and wanted to hand over to the CP. CP refused initially, but finally acquiesced upon the Co-pilots insistence. Result of the to-ing and fro-ing in the cockpit was a landing on the platform without a clearance. CP attempted to smooth things over with the platform on return to home base but platform would not play ball. When higher management found out CP quite rightly informed them it was “the Co-pilots fault”. I mean, who else’s fault could it be?

At least the CP seems to have escaped reasonably unscathed, unlike the occasion he is rumoured having to nurse a broken rib exiting the cockpit.

Anybody with the facts?

albatross
23rd Aug 2007, 05:20
Now that's a good rumour.
Nothing like Rumours, Innuendo and Hearsay to start the day!:D

Nigel Osborn
23rd Aug 2007, 08:07
Good on you Brian, & I thought you had retired!!:ok:

Geoffersincornwall
23rd Aug 2007, 09:44
Some years back I was attending a CRM course with Virgin Atlantic. The charming female instructor told us that she had recently returned from the Middle East where she had been asked to run 'assertiveness' classes for the First Officers. When she arrived she found that 50% of the FOs were from the Antipodes and for these guys she had to organise a 'wind-your-neck-in' course!!

G

:)

gulliBell
23rd Aug 2007, 09:48
It's happened to the best of us before, and no doubt it will happen again. Too bad they didn't use the VV defence, then they might have got away with it!

Pingy
23rd Aug 2007, 12:59
What is a VV defence ?

Cheers and thx for answer !

gulliBell
23rd Aug 2007, 14:07
The VV defence came about thus:
Someone once infamously landed on a platform without clearance and the radio operator asked him to identify himself, to which the reply was: if you don't know who I am then I'm not stupid enough to tell you. And then he took off again.
So if you land without a clearance and they don't know who you are, don't tell them anything, and make a rapid exit before anyone can get an eyeball on you.
Mind you, that was the good old days, you probably wouldn't get away with it these days.

Brilliant Stuff
23rd Aug 2007, 14:23
After all today they have got those fancy computers telling them who is in the crew flying which aircraft and how many hours experience they have also if they took off with a delay.

Fareastdriver
24th Aug 2007, 10:10
Way back in 78 Willie Weitziel, my chief pilot, demonstrated how to land on the wrong platform on my very first line trainng trip. Bloody good training. I haven't done it since.

northseaspray
24th Aug 2007, 11:56
Like a friend of mine once said, it's really emberassing the first time you land on the wrong rig, with the gear up...

africacorps
25th Aug 2007, 02:21
I remember that!!!!!!:uhoh:

InstruMENTAL
25th Aug 2007, 06:17
By all accounts, the "tub of lard" in question has finally used his nine lives. (His charmed, yet pointless, existence has seen him dodge this particular bullet many times :rolleyes:)

Dispatch this fool westwards like the Dark Lord before him!!!:}

gulliBell
25th Aug 2007, 07:38
IM, but a tub of lard has it's uses!

Edit: BA, can you say if the said platform in question is named after a fish?

High Nr
25th Aug 2007, 10:55
If this "terrible crime" occurred in Oz, then the field certainly narrows.

Last count there was only four CP's that fly offshore, with some more than others!!

blade root
26th Aug 2007, 07:19
If it is the CP in question it not the first time that I know of...I guess people are sick of covering his ample behind....

By the way don't send him west, we don't want him........I came here to get away from him

gettinwiser
26th Aug 2007, 10:49
GB if it smells like fish, chances are.........................

I heard that years of coverin up has this guy thinkin that everyone else is fair game except him. The pain that's been inflicted on others over many years could return to bite him in that well cushioned B-hind.

High Nr
26th Aug 2007, 21:55
Oh, The Sheltered Workshop.

Brian Abraham
28th Aug 2007, 12:13
Word on the street is the CP is to be relieved of his position and relegated to the ranks of the "mules" (aka line pilot). Solidity taking over?

blade root
28th Aug 2007, 12:58
Heard to same rumour from another source. Karma........

Brian Abraham
11th Sep 2007, 06:49
Well its finally official, in the old phonetic alphabet, congratulations are due Able Baker for taking up the CP baton. One wonders though how the old CP is going to survive as a line pilot in a crewroom with people who have no respect for him.

Impress to inflate
12th Sep 2007, 11:43
I was told by on offshore medic that if you find yourself on the wrong rig then one of you RUN below decks to the nearest bog and lock the door for a minute or two and claim you had a boud of the runs, no oil company will get ****ty with you. Get the pun !

Special 25
12th Sep 2007, 12:26
I take it this was a landing without clearance rather than landing on the wrong platform. That being the case, why do oil companies get so excited about it ???

I'm sure we've all done it - Approach and Landing is a busy time especially when its your 6th deck of a shuttle. Lets hear it for the good HLO's who call out "Deck Available" just before your wheels touch the surface, rather than the weasley jobs worths who watch you land, knowing you haven't got a clearance and then go running off to file some paperwork and win a 20 quid HSE bonus !