PDA

View Full Version : JAA Hour Building USA

05pearcj
22nd Aug 2007, 23:22
Hey All,

just looking to get my handling back and some more hours in the USA after my Atpl's and was wondering a few things..

- i have a current JAA PPL
- A Current class 1 Medical
- A UK passport
- I have previously been registered with the TSA

what do i need to convert my JAA PPL to an FAA PPL.

will it need any flight training?
will i need an M1 Visa?
Can i do a direct conversion?
Will my class 1 medical convert or do i need an FAA medical?

thanks in advance for any help

james

littco
23rd Aug 2007, 07:52
If you have a JAA PPL and Medical its pretty straight forward to get a an FAA PPL.

Firstly you need to down load the relevant forms from the CAA website ( sorry don't have the link to hand) you also need to down load the FAA forms for converting your license. Once you have these Fax them off to both the FAA( to the nearest office to where you plan to fly in the USA ) and CAA. The FAA will contact the CAA to get confirmaiton of your details etc. Now the FAA don't charge you but the CAA will! (suprised?!) You will then get confirmation from the FAA that all is in order.. allow about 6 weeks.

When you are in the USA you then have to go to the FAA office and have a brief interview. Upon which they issue you a temporary airmans certificate. You then have to carry out a Bi-annual ( or is ennual ) flight test with an instructor and then you're good to go. You shouldn't need a training visa unless you plan on doing specific training course.

There are a few posts on this subject in the Private flying section which may give you more information.