PDA

View Full Version : RN BrevetName badges

WeaselRN
22nd Aug 2007, 21:29
PPRuNers, esp RN, could you please tell me where it is legislated that we have to have black facias on our name/brevet badges (green junglie dis-reg)
TVm WSL

Seldomfitforpurpose
22nd Aug 2007, 21:47
"Mine is a tartan background"

Which for regular serving and invariably war going PPruners says it all :ugh:

vecvechookattack
22nd Aug 2007, 21:52
Endurance flight have red backgrounds.

Bruiser Loose
23rd Aug 2007, 11:44
I don't think the background colour is legislated, however, ACOS(CSAV) quite recently decreed that all new name badges should have 'ROYAL NAVY' above the wings, in case the public mistake us for Crabs or Pongos (God forbid!).

I am led to believe that Terrane have been instructed not to make any badges without this, but don't take my word on this.

cobaltfrog
23rd Aug 2007, 12:15
Umm Bet that Pi**es off the Royal Marines then!;);)

WeaselRN
23rd Aug 2007, 22:46
Maybe ACOS would like to pay for the new badges? Moreover how do you order a private company to sell only a modified product, and there is also the thought that maybe a push on more critical agenda items could be called for? Anyway, where does it state that black is the LAW?

forwardassist
24th Aug 2007, 00:20
Perhaps it is to represent the wings of gold on the black (alright, very, very dark blue) background of the dress uniform?

anotherchopride?!
24th Aug 2007, 16:33
Don't want to shell out for some new badges eh Weasel? Well, if you will go on expensive holidays 4 times a year....!!

torque dirty to me
25th Aug 2007, 17:39
It's the RN's PR machine that's getting a hard on about badges! (Badges, Badges we don't need no stinking badges!:E) The official line is we should all be in black, with Gold border and wings, and ROYAL NAVY across the top! They're also responsible for replacing the classic white ensign shoulder badge with that awful blue RN badge!
However local common sense applies.
We bought everyone a "regulation" badge out of the CO's fund for us to wear near any nobs (Viptax's etc.:zzz:) but we wear our squadron coloured one around the station and airshows and the like. At Culdrose Airday we were all ordered into Corporate identity badges.....Just in case anyone visiting culdrose didn't know it's a Naval Air Station!:ugh:

Bruiser Loose
27th Aug 2007, 21:51
The awful blue RN badge! was actually RAFAA's idea a few years ago. I know this because the SOFAA at the time told us about it.

I don't know where the DNR idea came from, but I saw the letter from FLEET, stating the requirements for 'wings' badges etc.

I'm not saying that I agree with them or not, but both were for FAA corporate image and to raise the public's awareness of the RN owning and operating aircraft.

Not a bad idea though. I have lost count of the number of times that I have been stood next to an aircraft with ROYAL NAVY written on the tailcone and been asked how long I've been serving in the RAF!

Bigtop
27th Aug 2007, 22:06
Bruiser - thats just it though - if Joe Public can't read ROYAL NAVY in 2ft high letters on the side of a cab what difference will 1/2" letters on yr wings make!!
I see the RN badges had to be changed from a blue to white border to met the regs of the BR!!!