PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary checkups before initial class 1?

Willows
22nd Aug 2007, 18:58
Hi there

I have an appointment at the optometrists for a checkup to see if I meet the class 1 eyesight requirements.

I was just wondering, is it worth while going to my GP or anywhere else for the other tests before I fork out for the full medical and travel to LGW?

Maybe I'm just stalling; feeling slightly nervous about the whole thing. :uhoh: :p

Bob the Doc
23rd Aug 2007, 11:58
If you are, to the best of your knowledge, fit and well, I wouldn't bother the GP. (S)He would be within their rights to charge you for the 'check-up' as there is no medical problem that you are presenting for and you are essentially asking for a pre-medical medical. They will not be able to check your hearing/vision against the standards and may not be able to do the ECG and other stuff so you will probably not get the reassurance you are looking for anyway.

Sorry to be so negative

Bob

No Country Members
23rd Aug 2007, 17:02
It was a few years back now but I went to see the local AME, pre the £400 blast at Gatwick, which confused him as he was used to doing renewals only. However (and he did charge a fee, but it was a lot less than wasting £400 for a failure) he went through all the tests including the EEG and ECG and tentatively told me it would be worth going for the real thing. I think it was money well spent.

The optician visit is a good start though.

Bob the Doc
23rd Aug 2007, 22:01
Sorry if I misunderstood. I was working from the standpoint that this GP was neither an AME nor had sight of the further tests....