PDA

View Full Version : Air Commodore Alan Hicks

Rossian
22nd Aug 2007, 17:08
Another of the world's really nice men has left us. He died, suddenly and unexpectedly on Friday 17th Aug. He was my boss on 42Sqn and also was Station Commander Turnhouse. Our thoughts are with Jessie and their children.
There is a message going out across the maritime network, but there may be others here who knew him in other fields.
The Ancient Mariner

olddog
22nd Aug 2007, 17:28
I am truly sadened to hear of the passing of one of natures gentlemen. Al was a gentle giant who had the respect of all who knew him. I flew with him on 203 Sqn and served under him at Turnhouse. God Bless Alan and condolences to Jessie and the Family.

Yellow Sun
22nd Aug 2007, 20:04
I recall Alan Hicks standing up in the 42 Sqn crew room on 23 Dec one year and saying:

"Although we are duty squadron over Christmas it looks like we are going to have a quiet time"

Every crew on the squadron flew on either Christmas day or Boxing Day!

He was one of the "gentlemen"

YS

Gemmamairiann
24th Feb 2021, 20:01
Another of the world's really nice men has left us. He died, suddenly and unexpectedly on Friday 17th Aug. He was my boss on 42Sqn and also was Station Commander Turnhouse. Our thoughts are with Jessie and their children.
There is a message going out across the maritime network, but there may be others here who knew him in other fields.
The Ancient Mariner

Dear Ancient Mariner, it’s some years now since my father, Alan Hicks, died. My son, who is a submariner, as it happens, came upon this...none of us saw this at the time of dad’s death. I cannot tell you, all these years later, how moved I was by your words, which I have passed on to my sisters also - thankyou - all the best, Gemma

Janda
25th Feb 2021, 12:27
Gemma, I was a brand new AEOp when I did my Nimrod OCU back in 1973. Your Father was also on the course. He was then a Sqn Ldr. I remember he was a lovely man and helped all of us brand new Sgts. I had no idea he had passed in 2007. My late condolences to your family. https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-C3twN6P/0/X2/i-C3twN6P-X2.jpg

Not Long Here
25th Feb 2021, 16:43
Janda, That is a real rogues gallery. Al Hicks was also my first boss on 42 Sqn; probably the most gentlemanly boss I have ever had in my still ongoing "career"

Janda
25th Feb 2021, 16:57
NLH yes a few "rogues" there. Unfortunately, at least 5 no longer with us. Win Harris was my boss on 201 Sqn then I worked with him at Northwood. He wrote me a lovely letter just before I went to RNZAF. I see you are in Wellington. I returned to the UK 2 years ago. A great decision!!!

Pontius Navigator
26th Feb 2021, 21:30
Janda, you were crew A? I was in the next course.

Janda
27th Feb 2021, 07:43
PN yes indeed I was. Started June 1973.

D120A
1st Mar 2021, 16:10
Gemma, please see your PMs.

Pontius Navigator
2nd Mar 2021, 13:18
PN yes indeed I was. Started June 1973.
And then 201 with Smiling Jim.

RB

Janda
2nd Mar 2021, 13:58
Win Harris first for 2 years and then Jim!!