PDA

View Full Version : outside aircraft checks

darrylj
22nd Aug 2007, 16:40
just been watching & wanted to know that when a pilot checks the outside of his/her aircraft, is there a set procedure for how they are done & also, does the captain take part in the checks?.
i work at heathrow, & see usually the f/o or sf/o doing them.
thank you.
:)

BOAC
22nd Aug 2007, 17:17
Each company will specify the checks required. Most airlines only have an engineer 'in attendance' for the first and last flights of the day so the external checks in-between are totally down to the flight crew. Basically looking for loose panels, birdstrike/ground equipment, leaks, tyre condition and any bits hanging off that should be hanging on. If you see the F/O doing it it is probably raining.:)

Most 'walk-rounds' begin at the steps and go clockwise so we don't get lost.

Chris777
22nd Aug 2007, 18:00
I recently flew to Palermo with easyjet.

When we arrived, the captain was first out of the aircraft to do his external checks. This included spinning the fans/blades (apologies for lack of terminology) as fast as he possibly could. I've never seen this done before - is it standard or was he just being extra thorough?

BOAC
22nd Aug 2007, 18:07
I normally check for free rotation of the disc, so Yes/No.

Truck2005
22nd Aug 2007, 18:36
If it is anything like in the AT fleet of the RAF it is normally the ideal time for the crew to get out and call the missus on the mobile and tell her to get the bun warming up in the oven.

Could also be to order a pizza, I suppose ;)

squiggs1982
22nd Aug 2007, 20:18
Ok, apologies for my ignorance, but I'm going to ask some tenuously related questions!

When disembarking an easyjet flight last week from Glasgow to Luton, the engines were windmilling. As they turned, there was an audible "clanking" (for want of a better word!). Is this normal and if not, would it be picked up by the captain?

Secondly, on boarding a thomsonfly flight to Gran Canaria last month, we boarded at Stansted via the back door. As we walked along the length of the aircraft, the lower stetch under the wing towards the door displayed what I can only describe as "rippling". Again, is this normal ?

Sorry, hope this is ok in the "spotters corner"! :oh:

Rainboe
22nd Aug 2007, 20:35
Fan engines produce loud clanking noises as they rotate in the wind. Quite normal, though very loud. The large blades are quite loose, but they become tight when the engine is operating. It's all in the design. The rippling in the fuselage behind the wing is common in all older airframes. Sometimes it shows up more when the lighting is at an angle. Again it is normal wear and tear.

12 twists per inch
22nd Aug 2007, 20:50
Engine fan blade 'clanking' is indeed normal and when not present 'worrying'. Each compressor (fan) blade is attached by means of a pin or in a dovetail sort of joint called a fir tree root. As the engine spins centrifugal force acts on the blade forcing it outwards. Being able to move allows the blade to find its own happy medium thus preventing vibration. Blades that do not fall under their own weight whilst windmilling ie 'not clanking' usually indicate corrosion and on some very old engines such as the Conway are a reason to reject the engine.

Rippling of skin is known in the trade as 'panting' and is normal - find any photos of B52's to see why, the exhibit at Duxford is a fine example. On the ground the stresses on aircraft are completely different to the forces of flight - lift/weight etc - Skins are normally replaced when the aircraft is stress jacked ie jacked to replecate flight forces, so on the ground the skin may appear to pant.

Hope this answers your question!

squiggs1982
22nd Aug 2007, 21:12
Both,

Many thanks for your swift and informative replys! Both reassuring and interesting!