PDA

View Full Version : Go Auction Falls Flat - £100m Likely Sale Price

The Guvnor
31st Dec 2000, 14:01
Look out for an offer from Babs and her team early in the new year...

Given the huge valuation put on easyJet's IPO for a company which is really no different to Go materially; Stelios has to be laughing all the way to the bank ... and his new shareholders will be starting to ask questions....

From today's Sunday Times:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">BA's Go auction fails to gain
height

David Parsley

THE AUCTION to buy Go,
British Airways' low-cost
subsidiary, has gone flat. BA
fears it may get just £100m for
the Stansted-based airline.

Rod Eddington, BA's chief
executive, announced his
intention to sell Go earlier this
year. Executives believed the
operation, run by Barbara
Cassani, could fetch up to
£300m. But enthusiasm
among potential buyers has
waned, with the Hinduja
brothers, Easyjet and Iberia,
the Spanish carrier, all thought
to have quit the race.

Easyjet, the recently floated Luton-based airline, is believed to
have offered BA about £200m in shares but the approach was
rebuffed. Ryanair and KLM are thought to be the only trade
buyers left in the auction but BA appears reluctant to sell to
direct competitors.

The only other option at the moment is for BA to demerge Go
and float it. But Eddington is wary of the time this would take.

While Cassani, who has been chief executive of Go since its
launch, was thought to be keen to launch a management
buyout (MBO) backed by venture capital, she has not yet
thrown her hat in the ring. But BA executives are beginning to
think such a move may be the best option.

The Sunday Times revealed Cassani's interest in taking Go
private more than a year ago. She is known to have had offers
from private-equity firms but is still considering her position.

In what almost sounded like an open offer, one BA executive
said: "If Barbara did indicate her willingness to lead an MBO it
would be something the board would take very seriously. But
as yet she has not done so."

Observers believe Cassani is the driving force behind Go's
success. The airline has yet to make a profit, but Cassani is
confident that it will move into the black next year.

One analyst said: "Cassani is a smart cookie. I actually believe
she intended to be running Go as an independent airline when
she first walked through the door. Now it looks as if BA will be
asking her to take it away from them."
</font>

[This message has been edited by The Guvnor (edited 31 December 2000).]

Boss Raptor
31st Dec 2000, 14:39
Well at least some control, decorum and common sense is returning to perceived airline values after what I believe can only be described as the farcical valuation placed on Easyjet...

Many Easyjet shareholders must be squirming very nervously to see what happens to the value of their shares - Stelios and Co. will not doubt get away with their charade and if/when the pointed questions start being asked will run off to Monaco.

He won't be the first and no doubt he won't be the last!

Old King Coal
31st Dec 2000, 17:05
I for one would be A1 stoked if Barbara led a management buy out.

They’ve (just about, i.e. only requires BALPA members to give it the nod) concluded a very healthy remunerative package between the company and the staff – and if this is why, then all that hard negotiating will have been very well worth while.

So, please GO for it Babs.

Click here for the Sunday Times article in full http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2000/12/31/STB31home.128x122.jpg (http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2000/12/31/stibusnws01022.html)

Ps. W.r.t over-valuations, well said BossR – the future’s bright, but not necessarily Orange !

Timesup
31st Dec 2000, 17:13
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Executives believed the
operation, run by Barbara
Cassani, could fetch up to
£300m. </font>

No they didn't. Only the "Industry Spokesmen" or " City Experts" quoted these figures. I love it the way these guys make their own news stories, firstly by quoting big figures, then by saying that the saying that the big figures were wrong.

Anything for a couple of newspaper column inches, a concept I'm sure you will agree with , eh Guvnor?

Cpt Caveman
31st Dec 2000, 21:10
Happy New Year Boss Raptor
As a shareholder in the company which you love to give a poke at, can you tell me about this charade which you mention.

Awaiting in eagerness a sensible reply.

[This message has been edited by Cpt Caveman (edited 31 December 2000).]

BIK_116.80
31st Dec 2000, 21:31
Heres yer big chance then, Guv!

Firbolgs
1st Jan 2001, 01:57
Old King Cole Ive just been shown the new pay proposal for the GO pilots and I really cant see why you think its so good.?
It rubbish, their F/0's get 2.5% whilst skippers get about 6% and yet they still remain the poorest paid in the low cost sector. There doesnt seem to be much else in the way of add ons.?
Its going to end up as a training ground for the bigger operators.

Old King Coal
1st Jan 2001, 02:46
Firbolgs, perhaps this shows just how little you know about anything ;)

F/O's get 2.5% of an already good salary, i.e. it just makes it even better.

Captains now on a par with EasyJet - but without the sh!te !

RyanAir pilots applying in their droves - sick of the crap; and dare I say a fair few Orange ones too.

The future’s bright, but not necessarily Orange !

Max Autobrake
1st Jan 2001, 16:21
Err... sorry Old King Coal, "pay on-par with easyJet", not quite methinks.

GO Captain: £55,900 (no add-ons).
Easy Capt : £59,925 (inc 5% loyalty bonus).

Go still don't offer food, Bupa, PHI, free car-parking, and only pay 5% pension contribution, so there is some way to go.

As for "Ryanair pilots applying in their droves" - wishful thinking I'm afraid.

I do think though that £100M is a far more realistic valuation; I reckon if Ms Cassani does buy it she'll make a killing!

Mooney
1st Jan 2001, 19:44
Max Autobrake,

I Have just joined Go. Dont know where you got your figures from but they are wrong- even before the pay increase.

Max Autobrake
1st Jan 2001, 20:31
Sorry Mooney but I'm right. Comparing basic salaries for year 2 Captains; sector pay is the same for both companies - but I understand easyJet are at present reviewing their package - watch this space!

Firbolgs
2nd Jan 2001, 00:33
Max Autobrake you are bang on with your figures, Ive just spoken to my GO buddy and he confirmed it all.

Old King Cole are you still p**sed from last night ?......you may have some ex Ryanair boys who have come via the VEX route but there are certainly not droves leaving to join you !, oh and your Capts are still miles away from the EZY package, look again at King Coles figures...time to wake up! :)

Son Of Piltdown
2nd Jan 2001, 01:51
Looks like a salary war between the low cost carriers. Go, easyJet and Ryanair competing for market leadership. But, that could be tricky with a shortage of pilots - particularly type rated on the B737.

Increasing salaries raises the cost base and is detrimental to profits. BUT . . . you can't trade your cheap seats if the aircraft are grounded.

However, my guess is that the airline that is fully crewed will be the one with the best lifestyle and employment practices.

Big salaries are not a lot of use if you burn out with maximum flying and poor rostering.

The sharp airline will sell a lifesyle package for pilot retention.

Old King Coal
2nd Jan 2001, 05:14
So are we talking about the 'package' salary or the genuine 'basic' ? i.e. do these quoted figures include the maximum (yet unachievable) flight sector pay figures, plus every other possible add-on ?

But let's not be concerned about Gross salary - what's the average Net figures across all the ranks ?

Max - perhaps you've had a look at the following post - by CrashDive - in which he uses Gross figures:What is your annual salary....... Before Tax (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum27/HTML/000041.html). However, what he didn't say is that there is now an embryonic profit-share / loyalty scheme.

Ok, you've got me on the PHI/BUPA/Pension - but no doubt when Go has been in existence as long as EasyJ - they'll have all those too.
However, on subject of free car parking - jeez it costs a whole £10/month - get real, I've just drunk (well nearly - I'm taking my time over it) a bottle of wine that cost more than that.
Also, and w.r.t. crew food, I've seen the fare that Easy give to their crews and I wouldn't even feed it to my dog !

Ps. Could somebody please remind me how many hours the RyanAir folks can work per year, how many late finishes, early starts they get, how much roster disruption they suffer, plus is their sector pay taxed at the proper UK rate if based at and working out of Stansted, etc...

Hamrah
2nd Jan 2001, 11:27
OK Guys, this thread has moved off topic a bit. It started as a discussion on the sell off of GO and has now degenerated into the classic " Mines bigger than yours" argument. Can I suggest we move the discussion over to "Terms and Endearment" Forum.

H

stalling attitude
3rd Jan 2001, 01:17
I heard a rumour that allegedly came from the FT that one of the big UK charter companies is interested in buying GO - don't know which one though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by stalling attitude (edited 02 January 2001).]