PDA

View Full Version : G450/550 Vs Global 5000/GLX

Envoy604
22nd Aug 2007, 11:14
Anyone out there flown both types. If so any strong preferences? From a passenger perspective I would guess the Global over the Gulfstream. Slightly more space.

What about from the pilot perspective. Which cockpit and avionics are better? We don't often fly autopilot out, but which is a nicer drive, etc etc

Interrogator
22nd Aug 2007, 19:23
From a reliability point of view I would go hands down for a Gulfstream! The Global 5000 is full of teething problems with lots of systems!

LB1985
22nd Aug 2007, 19:40
I'm no pilot, but have heard that reliability in terms of spares is meant to be pretty grim when it comes to Bombardier. I know of a Global Express where the spares sent out were consistently damaged, incorrect, etc. Have heard this is meant to be better with Gulfstream.

Gulfcapt
24th Aug 2007, 16:29
Only fly the G-5 myself, but work with someone who has flown both. Gulfstream has better reliability and much better product support. Additionally, I hear Bombardier is still having problems with completions. Doesn't take too many incidents of stranded pax for that great GLEX cabin to start looking not so...
Broke last year in Singapore. Two Gulfstream reps are stationed there. Support was excellent! We were parked right next to a broken GLEX; never saw the rep over a four day period.

ginopino
24th Aug 2007, 16:53
Gulfstream ...everytime....

fl610
24th Aug 2007, 19:58
Gulfstream Earns Another 'Best In Product Support' Honor — One week after being named best business jet company in providing product support by Aviation International News (http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/2007-ain-product-support-survey-part-one-aircraft/?no_cache=1), Gulfstream has achieved the same recognition from Professional Pilot (http://propilotmag.com/August/featuresAug.html) magazine. :ok:

sandokan
25th Aug 2007, 07:08
Hi Folks,

we are flying two G550 a GLEX and a Global XRS.

Cabin wise - Bombardier has the nose up front.
G5 cabin, you feel like in narrow Tube.
The only positive thing what helps that a little bit is the large cabin windows.Nice feature.But no standing height..no thanks.
Also the carpenter quality - not really what I expected from a million dollar baby.Al right,its not a Lufthansa Executive,but my grandpa as an carpenter from the 40`s which was building cabinets and cupboards would say,cheap american quality.

Technical...both have their probs.
Don`t forget the GLEX is a little older than the G5.
We did stranded with G5 as well with the GLEX and also the new XRS.
But yes,the GLEX is..let me say - a little bit more to worry here and there :cool: The GLEX seems to letting us down only at remote locations far from home :yuk: were its a hassle to get things arranged.

Ohterwise G5 already had major issues before and right after a delayed delivery......
How is about the whole interoir Material not certified by EASA.
Oh...you`ll need that in Europe?

Bombardier had bulit in a 14 month old APU in a brand new XRS.
Is shelf life an issue here??

Spare parts? Not really a problem with both of them.
Sure you have parts which seemes sometimes can`t get delivered at all.
Hello Bombardier,how is our jump seat assy looking:ouch:

Cockpit.Sure the older GLEX is not really a match with the new G5 glass.
But the XRS keep the gap really close.

Both companies have their issues.
Well,at all its a personal thing - I`ll guess.

greetz

747dieseldude
26th Aug 2007, 14:32
The pilot perspective should be the same as the pax one: comfort.
Since you are gonna be sitting there for a loooong time, i'd find out which one is more comfortabe.
You can fly with both avionics suits, and both of them will break down eventually, and you will need spares and repair. Maybe one will take a couple of days more to repair, but you will be spending those couple of days in a hotel. You should worry about legroom, having a lavaory up front, proper rest area for double crews, a door or a curtain to the cabin, so you can get up and stretch yourself during long flights without the pax watching you etc.
Haven't flown either, but the GLEX series seems wider, and therefore probably has some more living space in the cockpit. That is what I would worry about.

Good Luck

Bomba
6th Mar 2008, 20:43
Have been driving Global express for 8 years and worked with crew who flew G4 and G5. Input from them is that the performance of the BD700 is better but the spare s and other support is lacking. They now have open up more service centres in Asia and Moscow to help the problem.
Anybody knows anybody hiring Global drivers in Malaysia?