PDA

View Full Version : Converting an ICAO CPL/IR to a GCAA(UAE) CPL

EladElap
22nd Aug 2007, 09:43
Does anyone know about converting an ICAO CPL to a GCAA CPL with regards to the type of aircraft that the training was done on?

I know according to the GCAA website that to do a GCAA CPL, flight training has to be done on a type certified aircraft. BUT

according to the CAAP 4-27

"10. RECIPROCAL RECOGNITION
10.1 Eligibility.
The holder of a foreign licence may be granted reciprocal recognition of that licence
provided;
(a) The foreign country is an ICAO Contracting State, and
(b) For PPLs, the applicant must provide a copy of the approved syllabus of training for
all countries other than;
• USA
• Canada
• Australia
• United Kingdom or a European country complying with JAA-FCL.
• Pakistan (Peshawar)
(c) The applicant meets the requirements of para 7.3 (a)-(i), and
(d) The foreign licence and appropriate foreign medical certificate is valid, and
(e) The applicant passes the required written examination, and
(f) Only one foreign licence is used as the basis for recognition, and
(g) The applicant can read, speak and understand the English language."

It says nothing about the training having to be done on a type certified aircraft!

So the question is surely the GCAA recognize the licence but don't have to necessarily recognise that it was done on a type certified aircraft.

Any comments would be appreciated!!

Dualinput
23rd Aug 2007, 12:46
Any type of aircraft is ok...
For the conversion, one needs to pass the air law exam and submit the paperwork to GCAA. However, if you are a non-GCC national, you will need to get a flying related job first to write this exam (i.e Pilot, FI, Dispatch, etc).

Cheers,

Bealzebub
23rd Aug 2007, 15:00
I never understand these sort of questions, since ICAO do not issue pilot licences. The UAE ( as are most other countries) is an ICAO contracting state.

Is there some sort of shame in actually stating which state issued the licence that you wish to convert to anothers ?

EladElap
24th Aug 2007, 05:46
SACAA to GCAA, simpler enough! No shame what so ever! Just trying to keep the question simpler. Was hoping that someone had gone from the fresh comm route with 200 hours and converted to a GCAA licence.

To clarify Beazlebub, i'm asking on behalf of one of my students. Ay my school we operate a fleet of 9 aircraft, 3 of which are NTCA (Non-type Cenrtified Aircraft). One of my students wishes to convert to a GCAA licence when he finsihes and is worried that the hours he flies on the NTCA aircraft will not be honoured when he converts his licence.

My argument is, how can a CAA in any ICAO country say that they will honour a licence but only if the hours are flown on an aircraft approved in the country that the licence is being validated or converted to??