PDA

View Full Version : Private FAA to JAA ATPL

Benzie
21st Aug 2007, 23:12
Hi i did my ppl in the USA in 2005 which is an FAA licence, since then i have completed approx 160 hours of 110 roughly P1. I now wish to do my ATPL in this country i wish to do my ground studies with Bristol as this i believe is the best choice. The question i have is do i need to convert my FAA licence to JAA before i do the ATPL ground or can i do this with my current FAA licence and then just do my JAA CPL and IR. Also with the FAA Private licence it includes a night rating so obviously i will need to get a JAA night rating but how do i get one if i have an FAA licence. Sorry if this sounds confusing. Your help will be appreciated.

GgW
22nd Aug 2007, 00:24
FAA ppl is olso a ICAO ppl , you do not need to convert it.
Have a look in LASORS about converting your night rating , I think that if you 12 hours night time the UK CAA will just endorse it in your cpl, bearing in mind that your FAA night rating is current.

Hufty
22nd Aug 2007, 21:46
I had an FAA PPL before starting my CPL and got the CAA to give me a night "qualification" on the back of it. At the time, LASORS said night "qualification" rather than "rating" - the difference is subtle but it means it doesn't need to be a night "rating" if that makes any sense!

You just need to look at the CAA requirements for doing a night rating in this country then make sure that you have ticked tick all the same boxes in the US. The requirements are slightly different so be careful as you might not have done it all. When I did my FAA PPL I made sure I did some additional night stuff so I could convert it on my return. I really enjoyed my night flying - did some in CA and FL and would love to do more if I a) could afford it and b) wasn't so scared of flying singles after dark!

BillieBob
23rd Aug 2007, 07:18
Ther is no such thing in the JAA as a night 'rating', only a night qualification. The night 'rating' ceased to exist in the UK about 7 years ago.

AlphaMale
23rd Aug 2007, 08:24
Funny enough I was only looking into doing a FAA PPL > JAA CPL course lastnight.

http://www.flyoft.com/pro_pilot_course.php

Might have it's benifits. :cool:

Benzie
23rd Aug 2007, 17:06
Thanks for all your posts they were all a great help. Alphamale i was looking at doing my training with Orlando Flight training (www.flyoft.com (http://www.flyoft.com)). I did my FAA licence in Florida so i know the area well. Thanks again.