PDA

View Full Version : Ray Mears in Helicopter crash ?

RINKER
21st Aug 2007, 22:05
Sorry if it's been covered before, but my wife said she saw something on tv about Ray Mears been in a Helicopter crash filming last series no fatalities mentioned. I googled it but just got mention of incident but no info on type or place.Anyone know any more ?.
R

Hippolite
21st Aug 2007, 22:20
Who is Ray Mears? Never heard of him/her

Bravo73
21st Aug 2007, 22:36
Who is Ray Mears? Never heard of him/her

A very hard nut who appears very unassuming. www.raymears.com (http://www.raymears.com/)

The crash happened a couple of years ago whilst filming one of his TV series. As far as I recall, the pilot was in a quite low orbit and managed to stuff up some how. My recollection of the accident report (as you can probably tell) is sketchy, at best. It was a B206 in Arizona, I think.

There was a preliminary NTSB report released but I never saw the final report.

HTH

mickjoebill
21st Aug 2007, 22:50
Ray was on the ground when the heli crashed. An experienced freelance camerman was shooting out the door of the MD XX, they were flying low.
heli came to grief, no fire.
Ray Mears aided the rescue.
The cameraman was seriously injured and is still unable to return to work, the last I enquired. Not sure of the pilot's injuries.
The BBC did not cover the cameraman for his injuries as they said he was self employed.
But it was BBC who booked the helicopter and the camerman was following directions from BBC director.
After a long and expensive court case the cameraman recieved compensation, the details of which have never been made public.
A very sorry affair made worse by the BBC stonewalling and leaving the camerman to fend for himself in the courts at a time when he was incapacitated.
Mickjoebill

correction; Ray was in the heli.

Blind
22nd Aug 2007, 07:13
Ray is the definitive gentleman and he was in the helicopter when it crashed. Last night's TV programme showed some amazing photos, they might be on the Richard & Judy website.

BRASSEMUP
22nd Aug 2007, 07:24
Ray is the definitive gentleman and he was in the helicopter when it crashed. Last night's TV programme showed some amazing photos, they might be on the Richard & Judy website.

Have you met him............?

jonnyloove
22nd Aug 2007, 07:51
Blind have you meet Ray cause I have and Defintive gentlemen he is not I have also seen how he films and not all is true about how he lives on location. I have been on a few filming jobs.

BRASSEMUP
22nd Aug 2007, 07:57
Blind have you meet Ray cause I have and Defintive gentlemen he is not I have also seen how he films and not all is true about how he lives on location. I have been on a few filming jobs.

I was going to be a bit more sensitive, but bugger that i agree! And if his dummy goes missing then stand well back!:ooh:

Blind
22nd Aug 2007, 11:34
Yes, but it was a long time ago, before his TV stuff so maybe he's changed but I stand by my opinion.

He said on the TV last night he was in the crash but maybe he wasn't if somebody knows otherwise.

chopperpug
22nd Aug 2007, 12:39
I too have flown him around, and his film crew. Had some discussions about his crash with him, he was indeed in the Machine with his cameraman. Now very appreciative of a good safety brief with location of all the emergency equipment. As we operate in a very remote area (Northern Kimberly, WA AUS) the crew themselves also came very well equiped with their own survival gear, so much to the point I had to get them to nearly leave some behind as the poor old Jettie can only do so much.
As far as the man himself goes, was very personable with me, and had some fairly frank discussions, however I don't quite have the same thoughts about the things he was talking about, but to his credit, he did always say 'In my opinion', and AFAIK, everyone can have an opinion can they not?
He was more than willing to listen to my side of things, and was not offensive at all, but beware, DO NOT cross his trip director.... shes got a bite and a half :ooh: :} Maybe she just didn't appreciate some good northern aus sarcasm.
Oh, and he did apparently spend a while in the SAS and all that gear....... :cool:

BRASSEMUP
22nd Aug 2007, 12:47
Oh, and he did apparently spend a while in the SAS and all that gear.......

Is that what he said?:rolleyes:

Hippolite
22nd Aug 2007, 12:53
Blind

I must live in a different universe.....I apologise in advance.

Who is Richard? Who is Judy?

I have been in this (helicopter) business for 28 years and know many people in it but I haven't heard of these people.

If I knew who they were I may better understand this thread.

scruggs
22nd Aug 2007, 13:02
TV Hosts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_&_Judy

:}

S

Blind
22nd Aug 2007, 13:18
Richard & Judy are "in my opinion" :rolleyes: rather terrible UK Channel 4 TV hosts. I was rather embarrassed to know what programme this thread related to and only mentioned it in case the website showed the photos. Alas, it didn't so I outed myself as watching junk TV for no reason!:{

scruggs
22nd Aug 2007, 13:21
Richard & Judy are "In my opinion":rolleyes: rather terrible UK Channel 4 TV hosts

Blind - Spot on mate! :ok:

S.

manfromuncle
22nd Aug 2007, 13:24
Ray sure cooks a mean squirrel pie! Every time I catch him on TV he's catching/killing/trapping/garotting/cooking them.

diginagain
22nd Aug 2007, 13:35
....and doesn't he look 'well' on his diet?

jonnyloove
22nd Aug 2007, 14:43
Ray has spoken up the lines in Hereford NEVER been a badged member off the regiment!! Just to clear that up I have dealings with on both sides off the fence military and civil with Ray and his productions.

airborne_artist
22nd Aug 2007, 15:18
ChopperPug - You may be confusing RM with Bear Grylls, another presenter of survival-themed shows, who was briefly in 21 SAS, one of the two TA Regts. This video (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1771093) of him has no aviation component, but is worth a laugh.

L A James
22nd Aug 2007, 15:47
Bear Grylls is the legend who para motored over Mount Everest... as a para motor fan myself I can't imagine how slack his bowels must have been at that point!

He also squeezed and drank the liquid out of a large heap of elephant number 2 in order to keep himself hydrated during an African survival episode. In the process a large chunk of it dropped into his mouth. Lovely.

Bravo73
22nd Aug 2007, 15:52
ChopperPug - You may be confusing RM with Bear Grylls

It was also Bear Grylls who was also recently accused of staying in a hotel when he should've really been roughing it.

Are you sure that you're not also confusing the two, jonnyloove?

MightyGem
22nd Aug 2007, 16:31
Bear Grylls is the legend who para motored over Mount Everest
I think that it was also recently stated that he didn't actually fly over the top of Everest, just higher, with the mountain in the background of the shot.

jonnyloove
22nd Aug 2007, 17:11
Bravo I have had dealings with both Bear and Ray you are correct Bear was a S.T.A.B From 23 (V) SAS for a very very short time and Ray has Lectured down the lines at Hereford. Ray and Bear both enjoy the comforts off the worlds Holiday Inns when they are filming there series.

Mr Loove

L A James
22nd Aug 2007, 17:31
How our heroes fall... hotels, strops, iffy SAS backgrounds. It sounds like Sean Bean probably had more training then Bear for his Bravo Two Zero film!!

Salusa
22nd Aug 2007, 18:11
Bruce Parry is the Mutts Nutz.

Those "Tribe" series are amazing. He really throws himself into it.

Sorry to go OT but must be said:ok:

FairWeatherFlyer
15th Sep 2010, 16:59
I spotted Ray Mears wearing a pin-stripe suit yesterday, a most unexpected sight. I think he was adopting attire that allowed him to blend in.

Difficult to see from H4 but if you're at 0ft AGL there's an exhibition of Jiri Rezac's photography showing the effects of oil extraction in tar sands. Worth a look if you're passing City Hall in London.

Tarnished Earth images grace London's South Bank - Features, Art - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/tarnished-earth-images-grace-londons-south-bank-2078115.html)