PDA

View Full Version : In praise of older software

frostbite
21st Aug 2007, 19:53
Am I the only one who uses old versions of popular software?

From choice, I use (for example)

PaintShop Pro V4
Quicken V2

Both from the mid 90s and originally used on Windows for Workgroups. There's many versions since then, some of which I've tried, but I've always gone back to these which work fine in XP.

Lancelot37
21st Aug 2007, 19:58
On Windows XP I use Claris Works v5 from 1997. It has a word processor, spreadsheet and the easiest database that I've ever used. Of course I use M/S Works when I have to, but I know which I prefer. Wonder Claris will work when I buy a new computer with Vista.

Atlas Shrugged
21st Aug 2007, 23:58
Nope, I use older versions of some software as well!

You might like to have a look here:

http://www.oldversion.com/

:ok:

obgraham
22nd Aug 2007, 04:00
However I'm not regretting the demise of dBase III!

green granite
22nd Aug 2007, 05:30
You mean like DOS v5 and X-TreeGold ?:}

IO540
22nd Aug 2007, 06:33
I still use Wordstar 4, c. 1987. For a quick letter, it does all I need and generates text files which can be string-searched easily.

Old software is great value. Photoshop 7, Corel Draw 11. It is usually less buggy than new stuff because by the time you buy it they have fixed all they were going to fix.

The only drawback is that if you upgrade the O/S, say to Vista, a lot of stuff stops working. But then why upgrade the O/S? It's only a piece of software under which one runs applications!

That oldversion.com site is curious - one can download e.g. Cool Edit Pro 2.0 which is relatively recent. How do they work this??

Lancelot37
22nd Aug 2007, 10:43
Nope, I use older versions of some software as well!

You might like to have a look here:

http://www.oldversion.com/

Hey, that's a good site. Thanks for posting.

hooligan88b
22nd Aug 2007, 11:15
If you're having trouble getting your old favourites working, if you've e.g. 'upgraded:hmm:' to Vista, then don't forget Microsoft Virtual PC, and DOSBox, which are both free.

NutLoose
22nd Aug 2007, 12:08
I bought the likes of photoshop 7 as it was a pittance on ebay when everyone jumps on the upgrade circuit......... Often thought the likes of windows 95 would be good to reinstall on my PC again because no self respecting spotty nerd writing Viruses and Trojans would be running anything less than XP these days.....

Terraplaneblues
23rd Aug 2007, 16:09
Wondering when Edlin for windows is due out.

Keef
23rd Aug 2007, 21:06
It already is ;)

Try PFE32 - probably over ten years old now, and still the best general purpose editor: I use it a lot.

eticket
24th Aug 2007, 14:38
Does using Lotus 1-2-3 from 1997 count as old? I use it everyday as I was dragged up on the DOS version and have never had/seen the need to learn excel speak. (I hope it will still install on Vista when I eventually have to go over to it).

For those with long memories: /

Spitoon
24th Aug 2007, 18:00
Sadly my memory goes back to /!

amanoffewwords
25th Aug 2007, 07:24
I've been tempted to re-install my copy of Kenn Nesbitt's Webedit program...from the mid 90s - not that old but still the best html editor I've ever come across.

amofw

jason_slf
25th Aug 2007, 15:40
I still use Paint Shop Pro 5 - I have version 7 at work and it takes me about 4 times as long to do things in V7 than in V5 - sometimes I even bring home pics to work on as its easier than using V7!

Also Ive been using Office 2007 at work for a few weeks - I have no plans to upgrade from Office XP at home!

Keef
25th Aug 2007, 21:36
Aha - another Paint Shop Pro 5 user! I bought the upgrade to PSP7, and have both on the machine - PSP7 for "red eye removal", and PSP5 for everything else.

PSP7 reminds me of the old definition "a solution looking for a problem".

Does anyone know how to change PSP5's default file format setting from .psp to .jpg?

effortless
25th Aug 2007, 22:01
I still use Clipper.

Saab Dastard
25th Aug 2007, 22:27
Do we need a "computers & internet history and nostalgia" forum?

:8

SD

jason_slf
25th Aug 2007, 22:39
Does anyone know how to change PSP5's default file format setting from .psp to .jpg?

If anyone does know how to do this could they tell me too?? This is one of the most annoying problems with any version of PSP - especially when you have a load of new files to save.

Also today I downloaded paint.net (it's free - google it!) and it looks pretty good, I havent used it seriously yet but it I reckon I could be using it instead of PSP7 at work.

Mr Grumps
26th Aug 2007, 18:04
Does using Lotus 1-2-3 from 1997 count as old? I use it everyday as I was dragged up on the DOS version and have never had/seen the need to learn excel speak. (I hope it will still install on Vista when I eventually have to go over to it).
I don't know what OS you are using but my charity stuff was originally written in Lotus and worked on Windows 3.11 and 98 but when I upgraded to XP I had to get a later version. Now on version 9.7 vintage 2000. the previous version didn't seem to want to load on XP.
I haven't got a clue if it will work on Vista though.

eticket
29th Aug 2007, 16:30
I don't know what OS you are using

Mr Grumps,

I am running Lotus 1-2-3 '97 on Win XP Professional.

However XP is running on Virtual PC6.1 on Mac OS 10.2.8. on an Apple G4 !

After all that it works and prints!