PDA

View Full Version : Jobs 07-08 'Do you need turbo-prop time to get a jet job ??'

Duff Shark
21st Aug 2007, 12:17
Im going to come out and put this question out there as it has been a hot topic with a number of buddies as late.

Many of us are seeing a light at the end of the GA career tunnel (hopefully it will not be turned out soon) done my time in the remote, looking forward to moving back to cities with cinemas, cafes, menus that have more than steak and chips, and no more imparja.

I speak for many GA guy's/gals who are currently sitting on the fence here. I have no idea of the realities of flying for airlines, turbo-props, jets so i would like this answer from more of the recruiting point of view.

Do we have a chance at a job on a Jet ?, should we wait 6-12 months working in GA for the call or take the offers that are being thrown around by regional turbo-prop airlines for the next few years then make the move. I would love to get outta flying clapped out pistons, however the regionals are offering me less money, and many want 10k or 2 years bond, i have many bills to pay and i dont think i can survive in the city on the money being offered, im tempted to wait it out. What do you all think ?

DS

KRUSTY 34
21st Aug 2007, 12:27
If you've got 500 multi,

Definitely go for the Jet.

Once upon a time the lifestyle at the regionals may have appealed more, but that has gone.

You are going to get flogged no matter what you do, so you might as well have a financial future as part of the deal.

wrongwayaround
21st Aug 2007, 12:49
I know guys from Karratha flying services.. and Skytrans who have had interviews with Jetstar and Virgin recently... I'd say if that's what you're aiming for... getting into "rex" or the likes might be an unnecessary step? ALOT of learning... and low pay... etc etc... "just not worth it"....

Capt Basil Brush
22nd Aug 2007, 00:07
There are quiet a few pilots in VB who have never flown turbo-props, and some of those are now captains. So don't worry about not having flown turbo-props.

There will be hundreds of jobs going with QF, J* and VB in the next few years, and the same for the regionals if you want to go down that path.

Enjoy what you are doing while it lasts. It wont be long before you are sitting around a hotel bar somewhere, away from home, talking about "the good old days".

WynSock
22nd Aug 2007, 00:20
The regional lifestyle has gone tits-up in the last 2 years for sure. We are getting flogged, so like krusty says, you might as well go for the jet job. Anecdotally, that is happening already with the experience of new turboprop drivers at an historic low.

But hey, who cares what happens in 2-3 years when it all turns to ****e, the boss will be in Tuscany or somewhere with a massive bonus. Shareholders first, "Go f$%^ yourselves" is the new morale-boosting mantra.

Up the pay significantly or drop the flogging-style roster or we will walk in droves.

Park them aeroplanes you accountant f%^&wit.

KRUSTY 34
22nd Aug 2007, 00:46
Base pay after after training wage ($30,094) first year is $41,240 PA.

Add 8-10K in DTA and the figure would be pushing 50K!

Bear in mind, whether it's DTA or other allowances, most airlines will compensate you to a similar amount. So the basic wage is where the comparison should be made.

Level one F/O salary at DJ starts at $93,010 before allowances.

this makes the rate of pay for new REX F/O's approx 44% of their Virgin Blue counterparts!

Once upon a time, this ratio was around 60%! And we're compareing to a low cost carrier. God knows what the gap is when compared to QF, CX etc..

As soon as the issue of pay for your endorsement is settled (and it will be), the last impediment to a mass exodus will be removed.

2p!ssed2drive
22nd Aug 2007, 00:51
crikey

the guys sweeping floors at holden really do get more than a REX FO.

KRUSTY 34
22nd Aug 2007, 01:11
Sadly 2P2D,

The figures do not lie!

Howard Hughes
22nd Aug 2007, 01:11
Jobs 07-08 'Do you need turbo-prop time to get a jet job ??'Probably not, but it all helps cut down the waiting!

With regard to jets over regionals, many have said that working for one of the LCC's in Oz is just like working for a regional anyway, so you might as well go for the best money!:rolleyes:

On the subject of pay, last week posties got a payrise to a starting salary of $57,000+!
No weekends, no public holidays and no nights...:hmm:

KRUSTY 34
22nd Aug 2007, 01:31
"MY GOD H.H."

That would equate to...mmmm, let me see...

A 40% payrise for REX F/O's!!!

Outrageous, how dare we even suggest such a thing.

aviationmug
22nd Aug 2007, 10:35
Ok, This is what i think based on my experience and current conditions, re: can you get a jet position with multi piston only?.

It helps alot to have some two crew turboprop time, and incl. time on efis above 20 tonne, eg fokker 50, Q400,

However, I'm starting to see more and more pilots go straight from an Islander to a 737!!!!. True.

Example. Guy in Horn Is, Bn2 time with 500 piston to virgin.
Another in same spot to Qantas with BN2 time and a Degree.

It also has alot to do with current employment trends, personality, education etc etc.

cheers :D

pilotdude09
22nd Aug 2007, 11:39
So by having a degree does your chances increase of getting a Jet job quicker??

Alot of people say that it shows commitment etc but it would mean that you would be in heaps more debt than your already in!

Mick.B
23rd Aug 2007, 10:28
Aviation is so underpaid. Im a trademan who earns aound $250000 P/A working 45 hours a week. That give me enough cash to have a ball with my PPL when and where I want. Im very happy that when I had the chance to take a trade I did. I always wanted to be a pilot for a living but now I wouldnt do it for that sort of money. Good to see you guys finally having a better chance of sound employment. Good luck.

VH-XXX
23rd Aug 2007, 11:33
What trade would that be? R U for real?

365 days a year.
~110 weekend days and public holidays
= 255 working days
10 days a year off for Red Bull and Easter holiday
= 245

So that's roughly $1k a day and you can maintain a 100% billable working week?

I work in a high paying industry, but as for tradies earning $250k... :bored:

pilotdude09
23rd Aug 2007, 16:27
Could be an engineer, superintendant, manager etc i know of each of the named earning 200-350k! Theres money to be found in the Trades!

mince
25th Aug 2007, 13:03
Sure, trades are great. If you enjoy digging ditches or clearing block sewers or crawling in roofs and under floors until you're 65.

Been down that road, and now I enjoy an air conditioned office with the best view in the world and coffee personally delivered at the push of a button....

radicalrabit
25th Aug 2007, 20:10
HEATING ENGINEER GETS £250 PER DAY TO FIT OUT HOUSEs IN LIVERPOOL AND THE COUNCIL HAVE MONTHS OF WORK A HEAD ALL THE TIME!!! 18 YEAR OLD HERE Driving a 360 degree tracked shovel is on £65 per hour and does 5, 12 hour days. They earn more money that I.T. Engineers thats for sure.
So yes being a pilot might put you in a nice office but can you fly a Cheyenne 400 for fun because you have earned enought to do it ?

bracketting
26th Aug 2007, 05:49
I too was once a tradesman making 130k a year and now am a regional driver making 55k a year, some or most may think im nuts, but a wise old chinese fella once said " he who loves his job will never work a day in his life"

FlyingChipmunk
26th Aug 2007, 09:09
Bracketting,

that was the best line I've heard in awhile

:D:D:D

Mick.B
28th Aug 2007, 06:52
Sure, trades are great. If you enjoy digging ditches or clearing block sewers or crawling in roofs and under floors until you're 65.

Been down that road, and now I enjoy an air conditioned office with the best view in the world and coffee personally delivered at the push of a button....

I dont do any of the above and I am certainly not going to work until Im 65. Trades have come a long way in the past 10 years. This idea of what tradies do cracks me up. Thats what labourers are for and then they become tradesmen if there switched on enough.

Mr. Hat
28th Aug 2007, 07:03
answer? no

plucka
28th Aug 2007, 08:25
Don't we think that flying an aeroplane is a trade. Why do we get so much less than a builder, plumber etc...?

Mick.B
28th Aug 2007, 10:07
You should be getting heaps more than builders. With the upfront investment you put up it is crazy ****. But if people want cheap airfares and pilots keep working for to little money, nothing will change.:ugh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Aug 2007, 12:41
"Don't we think that flying an aeroplane is a trade. Why do we get so much less than a builder, plumber etc...?"

Everyone gets paid less than plumbers!

Dr :cool:

porch monkey
29th Aug 2007, 10:44
Obviously you don't. I have a grand total of less than 20 hrs turbine in a total of 5500 piston. But I finally got an interview, and more importantly, a job.....:)