PDA

View Full Version : AirNZ interested in Whenuapai

aero junkie
21st Aug 2007, 04:15
Air New Zealand has confirmed it is interested in setting up a domestic service out of Whenuapai Air Force Base.

Plans for a commercial airport were put on hold several years ago, after the Defence Force said it would not consider leaving until after 2015.

Air New Zealand says it has now formed a favourable view on the possibilities that Whenuapai may be an appropriate location for domestic services in the future.

It says the next step is to investigate the issues around the use of Whenuapai as a dual use domestic airport, including building an Air New Zealand terminal.

Full report at http://www.stuff.co.nz/4172816a13.html

Nose wheel first
21st Aug 2007, 11:29
It's nice to see Air NZ considering this option. Of course there are those in high places who are against the notion..... those who would rather see an already established airport with amazing growth potential - close to nearly 1/3 of Auckland's population and a burgeoning industrial / commercial area - turned into more offices and houses.

With Auckland's current traffic/transport woes making it an absolute mission to get into and out of Mangere, particularly at peak times, it does make for an attractive option. Especially for those who battle the Northern Motorway and/or the Northwestern Motorway just to get through to the Eastern and thus to Mangere. The trip can take up to 2 hours on a realy bad day!!! I know there would be access issues associated with NZWP too but some of those could be solved.

The North Shore is growing at a phenominal rate with many companys relocating there or starting up in the area. Having access to the area by air would be a winner for so many businesses.

There are of course those who would get upset about the aircraft noise and yes.... they have to be considered. Just remember though..... WP has been an established base for over 40 years..... a whole lot longer than many residents in the area who bought/built houses knowing that there were noisty military aircraft flying in and out every day. (What Airforce?????) When the A4's, Macchi's and 727's were operational there would have been a whole lot more noise produced than there would be with turboprops and many of the new generation jets which are flying today.

On top of all that..... there is a VORTAC and an ILS there (can't remember if there is an NDB..... been a while since I flew in NZ) making it a reasonable alternate to NZAA when the weather craps out and the fog rolls in. (I know, WP gets covered some times too)

I like the idea..... If they turn the area into houses there wil never be another opportunity to put another decent airport into Auckland. NZNE isn't up to the task. There has been a marked lack of planning and forethought when it comes to Auckland's growth and development..... I hope they get this one right!

Jack Sprat
21st Aug 2007, 21:16
There's the cynical view that ANZ could be using WP as a means of furthering its position in its current scrap against AA airport charges. If it can convince AA Airport that it is serious about WP, then AA Airport may relax its monopolistic actions. ANZ knows all about those over the years.
I suspect that if ANZ got a more favourable response from the Airport company which Joe Public probably won't hear about, then it will lose interest in Whenuapai. Why would it bother going to WP when so much duplication of resources would be required? New buildings for a starter. Surely only a rival to ANZ would consider using WP? Didn't a previous Pruner also suggest that the runway was getting a bit shaggy? I can't see ANZ ever using WP.

medh2o
21st Aug 2007, 21:54
Didn't I hear on breakfast news this AM, that Pac Blue was interested in using WP BEFORE AirNZ suddenly took more interest? Nothing further since tho.

Going Boeing
21st Aug 2007, 23:07
Hey Jack. ANZ is a bank - I don't think that they have any interest in When-U-Happy.

I agree that this is a ploy for AirNZ to try to get a better deal from AKL airport.