PDA

View Full Version : How Important are Aviation Degrees?

arms2serve
20th Aug 2007, 20:41
Most people stress flying experience is the single most important factor in getting a better job. Just wanted to know how much does flying licences coupled with a 3 year degree work in getting employment?

Which of the two is the better option:

1. An fATPL coupled with a BSc in Air Transport Studies (this degree is about air transportation as a whole)

2. A BSc in Air Transport Operations only (this degree already includes fATPL)

Both these degrees are offered by the City University London.

redsnail
20th Aug 2007, 21:15
Aviation degrees aren't important versus the CPL/IR with ATPL credits.

Now, if you have the CPL/IR (etc) AND some commercial experience then that will beat any aviation degree.
If you hold an ATPL then it's worth a lot more than any degree.

The upshot is, a degree is "nice to have", esp an aviation one as it ties in all the studies but it most definitely is not essential for a flying position.

Some may say that a degree makes them more competitive for cadetships etc but it's still not essential. The initial grades and YOU make more of a difference.

The risk of a degree is that you'll have even more debt at the end of the course.

If you want one, get one, but they aren't essential.

ms747
21st Aug 2007, 12:51
hi there,

im talking from an australian perspective here, i did my BSC in aviation, my main reasons for doing it was 1) its something to fall back on, if for example down the road my health or somehting stops me flying then i can use my degree for other avenues 2) i can see some benefit in that if you are going for a job and you are equal with another candidate in terms of licences and experience the degree may give you the extra edge.

I guess you just need to weigh this all up with the costs/time required for the degree on top of all the flying training. Hope this was some help.

All the best.

preduk
21st Aug 2007, 21:20
If you are interested in getting a degree I would recommend staying away from aviation degrees and going for something that you can fall back on.

If you can't become a pilot, all you have is an aviation degree which isn't going to get you anywhere in life.

Me and my mate were both going to do an aviation degree, I changed my mind and done a Law degree and my mate continued with the aviation degree and he is unable to get a job. (I know that not a very accurate way to measure it, but aviation isn't booming with jobs)

Caboclo
21st Aug 2007, 21:32
Getting a degree to fall back on as compared to an aviation degree is a great idea, but you can combine the two, such as a degree in aviation maintenance. Mechanics are in high demand, due to get much higher as the numbers of RJs, LCCs and bizjets all rise. Having that knowledge will also be make your future type rating courses much easier, and generally make you a better pilot. I don't know if the JAA has a formal "Dispatcher Certificate" like the FAA, but if they do that is also a nice thing to have.

arms2serve
22nd Aug 2007, 12:12
I think if the degree doesn't help much to supplement the pilot licences then it should be related to something one enjoys doing and/or gives more job security. I get thrilled by sitting in and flying the aircraft, not by watching it from outside or fixing it. I would only want to do aero engineering or aero mechanic if they compensate in terms of money and job security.

For example if today my second preference is to get any good paying job and I am unable to find that in flying after putting in all my effort then it might become my first preference once I have a family to support.

I might get a degree related to finance or anything that gives more job security first and after that I might go for my flying licences if have enough money by then.

phantomcruiser07
22nd Aug 2007, 12:20
aviation degrees are ok if your a pilot who wants to go into flight management/ operation of an airline, but other than that, they aint that good for falling back on

if you really love and have a passion for aviation then of course do it, because you should do/study something you enjoy

and if yo love aviation and are good at maths do the aircraft engineering foundation degree at kingston university where you also get aircraft engineers licenses with it :ok: excellent for falling back on