PDA

View Full Version : Virgin pay Offer

ShagtheStaff
18th Dec 2000, 16:22
So here's the insult..

2.5% annual increment - in line with last year's inflation - not next.

Increasing increments for FO/FEs after 12 years and skippers after 18 (I think).

To pay for the above DROPPING skippers' starting salary by 4000 pounds.

No negotiation on the pitiful pension scheme.

AND my name sake and his cronies wonder why blokes are leaving for Korean, ANA Cargo, Atlas, EasyJet....

------------------
OOO OOO I love my job...

trumpet
18th Dec 2000, 23:18
couldn't agree more mate. I'm having trouble being polite F#*k em it has really p###ed me off.

PLOT
19th Dec 2000, 23:08
Dear shagthestaff,I'm seriously thinking of applying to Virgin-Atlantic - by the looks of these posts it's not as good as it seems - or is it ?!?

albatrossuk
23rd Dec 2000, 00:25
plot....
vs is not the place to get rich that is for sure(monetarily), but believe me when it comes to lifestyle(747-400)IT TAKES SOME BEATING.
14+ days off on average per month,little or no jet lag,late morning+ early afternoon departures,3 or 4 day trips and rarely more than 4 of them,great bunch of guys/girls,very relaxed+congenial atmosphere(though there's always going to be one or two plonkers).
sure it could improve in the renumeration dept.but *&$%£ at least i have a life that is not at the complete mercy of the company and dont suffer the distress of major jet lag,decrepit morale,ridiculous roster+hours etc etc.....i have my own life...
its the bees knees!!!!

Dunhovrin
23rd Dec 2000, 01:08
Gotta agree with Al. Great blokes (and gurls) nice way of life (says me on standby over Crimbo) but the wedge could be better. I'm not really money-driven but the latest pay offer does seem a bit of an insult when you get the green-eye about the other biggies out there.

Still life's a lot better now that the MCO Marriott have sacked Jody.

------------------
Clear above and behind? Ooops I mean white two please, luv.

WTHIDN
24th Dec 2000, 14:17
I notice Cabin Crew have been awarded 5%. Reward for not joining a union I guess.

------------------
What The Hell's It Doing Now?

Penn Doff
24th Dec 2000, 17:28
Thats fair, at the end of the day 5% of F*!* all is not a lot extra to pay out. I think 5% across the company would be slightly more acceptable than the 3% excuse.

------------------
"please report further"

[This message has been edited by Penn Doff (edited 24 December 2000).]

DLA
28th Dec 2000, 19:37
I believe we are getting the same rostering computer that BM has and that will mean that all of us will be flying our 750 hour contracted hours. I have been doing just about that at the moment and it has meant 4-5 trips a month, 3 when I have a week or so's leave. I do get jet lagged and I don't know many of my colleagues who don't suffer a bit and are generally tired for a couple of days after a trip. That is on the 400. We do only do trips of 3-4 days, generally which is a major bonus if you have a family, or in fact just a life.
People are all pretty good in general but pay could be better. 10-15% would be about right.

albatrossuk
31st Dec 2000, 20:31
quite right...the 600-650 hrs a lot of us hve bin doing has made life easy and it will be a shock to the system to do the contracted 750!!
like most,i think the latest co.offer an insult to our collective intelligence,expletives appropriate *&*%$...
there is a build up of ill feeling growing towards managements attitude and there are definitely going to be more skipper's leaving to the likes of korean whether or not their attitude changes.
everyone hopes the co.will hve the sense to give a good 'settlement' before the feeling of good will and fun erodes resulting in long term disenchantment.after all they hve been getting us cheap+cheerful since they started !!!!things cud get ugly....

WTHIDN
1st Jan 2001, 02:21
A change to the arrogant attitude from the top floor wouldn't go amiss either!

------------------
What The Hell's It Doing Now?

TEN13
6th Jan 2001, 21:36
Time for some action I think...........Maybe the BALPA meetings will suggest appropriate moves..

gonadz
8th Jan 2001, 02:55
Shame that Virgin senior management appear unable to spot similarities between the current developing situation and that which senior BA management generated not that long ago. ie spending a fortune with one hand whilst telling the workforce there's nothing in the pot to negotiate with. Hope sense prevails before it all gets nasty!

------------------

Fly76737
9th Jan 2001, 02:18
I looked at virgin home page and found that they are looking for pilots.Do you know if it is f/o or skippers?
How much does a f/o with 4000h earn at VA?
What are the requirments to be a skipper , flight time wise?
thanks all great subject...thinking about joining to leave my life as a b737 underpaid skipper.£2000/mo good ones!!!!!!!!

Noddy Staltern
13th Jan 2001, 20:48
1. Virgin only hire F/Os
2. Starting salary is approx £37,500
3. 6,000 hours required for command
4. Anyone joining today will have a LOT of F/Os ahead of them in the queue. It will therefore take several years for a seat change, even at current (rapid) expansion rates.

Fly76737
13th Jan 2001, 22:05
Thank you very much for the infos....
Any ideas how long for CTP seat?5y 10y?
Is it via seniority list or the ones having 6000h first or merit or a combination of all?

thanks

Fly76737
14th Jan 2001, 19:47
....and is the £37.500 before or after tax?
in case before tax , how much tax is there to consider?

thanks.........

Damn Boxes !
16th Jan 2001, 02:01
£37,500 after tax!...har, har, har, - you're not too familiar with UK pay are you, fly.

After all deductions, bank on about 35%-45% less than this, (ignoring duty pay exemptions-dont know about them).

Merit comes into command selection, probably more than many other UK co's apparrently (I dont work for Virgin btw, a mate does)

tired
20th Jan 2001, 03:29
Tax and National Insurance on £37 500 pa is approx £10 500 so you will clear £27 000 p.a. before any pension contributions. You will probably take home about £200 per month extra in allowances if you don't rip the ring out downroute on every trip. (That's on the 340 fleet.)

AT LEAST 5 years in the RHS, probably more like 8 yrs at the moment.

Once you have 6000 hours (believe me after 5 years in the company that won't be a problem!), command assessment is on seniority - that doesn't mean you'll automatically be given a command, just that you will get a shot at it. There have been 1 or 2 instances of people being promoted out of seniority, but they are VERY much the exception and were always for clearly defined reasons.

Chicken soup
24th Jan 2001, 22:29
Just a small correction chaps, the starting salary at VS is £36,458.

Sir Freddy
25th Jan 2001, 21:10
I believe that is the 2000 salary. The 2001 salary would be about £1000 above that (if we ever get a pay deal this year)!