PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting G day callouts?

moosp
20th Aug 2007, 04:46
Got back to HKG today to find two voicemail messages asking me to operate on G days over the weekend, at around two hours notice. One long haul, one short, 747 pax.

I need my G's anyway so am not in their files as a "G day worker."

Are any others of you being called regularly for this? Are we that short of pilots already?

ACMS
20th Aug 2007, 07:22
I haven't been rung up to work a G day for 3 years, on the 777 you're rarely called out on reserve these days.
However I have mates on the Bus that get called at least once a month.

Harbour Dweller
20th Aug 2007, 09:03
Heard the other day of a Based guy being rung whilst on Leave.

Crewing left 6 messages on his answering machine requesting him to operate due to sickness downroute.

Frogman1484
20th Aug 2007, 09:12
Now you know why they want age 65...not enough manpower!

If we all say no to Gday work, more people will get paid overtime. It is cheaper for them to operate a guy on a G day that to pay overtime.

whodunnit2
20th Aug 2007, 09:59
In the last 3 months I have been called or had a message left for me at least 6 or 7 times. I'm also regularly rostered into overtime (every month this year when I haven't had leave).

I think it is fairly safe to assume that we are pretty short on crew levels.

Just ask the crew controllers how bad it is.

W2

Rabesh Binny
20th Aug 2007, 10:31
Called on Sunday (G day) & was offered a choice of LHR or CDG(B744 pax).They had no Captain for either.Would have loved to have helped out but.........

CMOTDibler
20th Aug 2007, 11:23
Yep,
96 hours each month (reserve callouts) for the last 3 months and at least 2 calls a month to work on G's. Surely we can turn this to our advantage

Frogman1484
20th Aug 2007, 13:40
Well Said Kabuzz

CMOTDibler
20th Aug 2007, 14:16
Um Kabuzz,
did anyone actually say they were working these G day calls or simply, as the post asked, had been called in the hope they would. Thanks for the small tirade though.
Frogman, I agree, not working these days is one small way we can bring pressure to bear, ineffectual as it may be perhaps, but if everyone does it at least it may generate some negotiating assistance.

geh065
20th Aug 2007, 15:23
Asked a few friends and seems Airbus and 744 guys get plenty of calls. 777 less so although one guy had a call the other day on a G despite his average credit hours only being in the region of 40-60 these last few months! As for ACMS 'rarely' getting called out on reserve, my mate says it's about 50/50 for him.

energie
20th Aug 2007, 16:27
my appologies, what are "G" days?

Glass Half Empty
20th Aug 2007, 18:27
"
my appologies, what are "G" days?"

If you need to ask then this is not the thread for you, try the wannabee section.

XCX-SOHAPPY
20th Aug 2007, 20:51
G DAY= guaranteed day off

O DAY= just a day off

Five Green
21st Aug 2007, 06:27
O day : Day off, errr unless you answer your phone !!

cpdude
21st Aug 2007, 07:46
ever heard of saying "no"! I cannot! Don't have to give a reason just you cannot!:ugh:

Near Miss
21st Aug 2007, 08:06
Err two phone sims people. :8 Only give work one number. Turn it off when on O's, G's or Leave. Have it set to divert to your "real" mobile when on Res. Save the number as something like "Doh work :(" and give it an annoying ringtone. That way you will always know it is them, they can not ;) get you when you don't want and you never have to be recorded as being "unhelpfull". :mad:

dustyprops
21st Aug 2007, 08:52
If i got called on a "G" then i would tell them exactly where to go! Why this subject is even worth talking about is beyond me. The answer is NO! This airline screws us over and over, and then when they are stuck, expect us to pick up our overnight bag and come running, well forget it!

They exploit the goodwill of us dumb enough to stick around , instead of trying to plug the steady flow of guys going elsewhere (who can blame them!) or maybe improving things here so that they might be able to recruit people who actually have intentions of staying, instead of taking the type rating and running.

Anyone who gives up a "G" for anything other than the fact that they have gone insane, needs to be locked up, because you are playing right into their hands!

Come on guys and girls, lets start singing off the same hymn sheet here.

slapfaan
21st Aug 2007, 14:37
Anyone who gives up a "G" for anything other than the fact that they have gone insane, needs to be locked up, because you are playing right into their hands!

They need to be SHOT!!In front of a firing squad at the tamar site in central...:ouch:

I like your suggestion NEAR MISS...and most guys are doing this.Oh..and good idea is to change your numbers on a regular basis, as they keep a record of all numbers...even FAX numbers for crying out loud!!

Another hint: if you DO phone "crisis control"..start dialling 133-followed by their number,that way YOUR numbers shows up on their screens as "private call/call only"...

Fun under the sun on my geeeeeeeee-day!!!!!!!;)

XCX-SOHAPPY
21st Aug 2007, 18:00
When I'm bored on a layover, or after a few hours in the pub..I open skype and dial: 852-2747-8949. With my fake accent I order some takeout Chinese food.

You guys should try it too, it is funny. (at least for me).

My favorite one is when I called in sick for an A-hole checker on the Bus.

See everyone? Crew Control is not all that bad..you can have some good fun with them! Ok now go out and enjoy yourselves.

Hellenic aviator
22nd Aug 2007, 00:04
Now that's hilarious ! :D

Sleeve_of_Wizard
22nd Aug 2007, 02:36
4 times in 3 days........... on JOKER G'days....... airbus

Harbour Dweller
22nd Aug 2007, 04:59
XCX-SOHAPPY,

When I'm bored on a layover, or after a few hours in the pub..I open skype and dial: 852-2747-8949. With my fake accent I order some takeout Chinese food.

That's Gold :ok:

Apple Tree Yard
5th Sep 2007, 14:59
:mad: called on 2 of the past 3 days. all needed to crew freighters.....so sorry,....CANNOT!

XCX-SOHAPPY
5th Sep 2007, 18:59
Aiiiiyaaaaaa, Cannot Laaaa!!!

moosp
6th Sep 2007, 13:53
XCX ripping wheeze old boy.

However be careful if your are NOT ex CX. Large companies have a habit of spending inordinate resources and bringing their IT departments to a halt for weeks to trace stuff like that. Some companies have even been known to go into the more illegal side of searching just to find a whistle blower or a thorn in a senior manager's side.

Hacking into the systems of crew hotels has been reported from one airline, to gain access to phone records during an industrial dispute - illegal in that particular country. The anonymous caller number system in Hong Kong works for the receiver, but if your company has good contacts in PCCW it is said that it is a matter of a moment to have the dialer revealed.

So be careful out there. If you are that good at comms cloaking, you should be working in IT anyway.

Only the paranoid survive.

ULRequalsSLEEP
6th Sep 2007, 20:44
CX is just a job.

Worrying about what CX might think about what you say is no way to live life. 'Life is too important to be taken seriously'

We have a 30% failure rate - why? How many times do you hear of guys passing a 3 bar or 4 bar, according to the C+Ter, then getting sin binned by the star chamber. When we only had pilots on the star chamber the failure rate was low single digit. Please someone tell me how NR is in anyway qualified to approve someone passing command course?

If you need an opinion on how many zebras you can keep in an enclosure then call IOC and ask NR his opinion. He would have been very useful in that monty python movie about african or european swallows - but only if he did his Honours.

Actually, maybe thats why we keep getting offered peanuts- we have a zoologist in charge! Lucky he wasn't a qualified proctologist or we would really be sitting uncomfortably now.

Guys and gals, its just a job...and not a very well paid one.

'A life lived in fear is only half lived'.

badairsucker
7th Sep 2007, 06:54
If you need an opinion on how many zebras you can keep in an enclosure then call IOC and ask NR his opinion. He would have been very useful in that monty python movie about african or european swallows - but only if he did his Honours.

Actually, maybe thats why we keep getting offered peanuts- we have a zoologist in charge! Lucky he wasn't a qualified proctologist or we would really be sitting uncomfortably now.

ULR,

You now owe me a new keyboard cos I have just spat my coffee out all over it laughing at your reply...Quality.:D