PDA

View Full Version : 205 and a tight departure video...

Aser
20th Aug 2007, 01:48
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2238670945173075024&hl=en

:eek:

Take care

Aser

WhirlyBob
20th Aug 2007, 02:56
WOW!
I thought it was a distorted perspective from a telephoto lens until he lifted off...
Those Huey rotor blades are tough !!!

Reminds me of some of the incidents Robert Mason relates in "Chickenhawk"
:ooh:

Blackhawk9
20th Aug 2007, 07:10
If those blades have any damage to the leading edge or if they have ripped off a tip cap that is considered a Sudden Stoppage, which means head ,mast and xmissn and drive shaft o/haul, If that is a Civilian Helo that clown flying it should get the sack, accidents happen when doing fire bombing, EMS, etc but to put a machine the size of a 205 into a overly tight position like that is bloody stupid!

BRASSEMUP
20th Aug 2007, 07:23
It looks like FOD from the road getting blown about.....

Teefor Gage
20th Aug 2007, 07:34
BRASSEMUP - I think you might want to look a bit closer as the blades DEFINITELY break the lamp off the top of the second lamp post. The bits flying about are FOD, but created by the impact.
A very close call indeed!!

BRASSEMUP
20th Aug 2007, 07:52
Oh you could be right..........Old eyes early mornings:ooh:

HOSS 1
20th Aug 2007, 08:40
Actually, it looks to me like he just clips the first light, but nails the second one.

Also looks like he may have (inadvertantly?) drifted to the right. Cross wind coming up the hill perhaps?

Bummer.

Devil 49
20th Aug 2007, 09:57
You can't see lots of important things regarding the LZ from the videos perspective, but there was another light post and wires crossing the road behind. The wires on the right seem very tight. I wonder why a little slide left and more vertical, until at least above the lamp posts...

And, yes, the Huey blades are tough, at least against most vegetation. Metal, glass, cuts the skin. Losing any structural bits that far out on the blade is a very bad thing.

unstable load
20th Aug 2007, 15:01
Did he actually get away with it because it looks like he went really low over the houses and dropped away fast. Unless there was sloping ground that side of the houses.

Still nuts if he is still flying that ship!!

Aser
20th Aug 2007, 17:13
He did an emergency landing near the site. Don't know what happened after that.

Regards
Aser

Hiro Protagonist
21st Aug 2007, 05:00
If that is a Civilian Helo that clown flying it should get the sack, accidents happen when doing fire bombing, EMS, etc but to put a machine the size of a 205 into a overly tight position like that is bloody stupid!

I'm pretty certain that those are helitack firefighters loading up before he lifts... so yes, fire it is.