PDA

View Full Version : PNG Pilots, log book to be carried in Nav Bag ?

Waghi Warrior
19th Aug 2007, 23:40
Help !
I'm seeking to clarify if it is a legal requirement to carry my log book with my licence whilst flying. I point this question to PNG pilots in particular with the new rules. Nothing in the PNG rules points out that it is a legal requirement to carry log books in Nav bags.

Question ? With the existing PNG pilots licence format, how would one be able to prove that they are 1/ Endorsed on type 2/ Hold a valid instrument rating without producing there log book if pulled up on a ramp check ?

I seem to recall that CASA in Australia, prefer people to leave there log books at home to prevent them from being destroyed in the event of an accident, which makes a lot of sense.

:)

witwiw
20th Aug 2007, 03:07
When ramped in PNG, and if you cannot produce the required document (ie license, or maybe logbook), do you then have a certain timeframe to subseuently present it to the authority?

I seem to recall there's 7 days here in Aus with the license. Someone might clarify that because I'm hazy at the moment.

VH-Cheer Up
20th Aug 2007, 05:01
Is it legal to have two log books so you can carry one with you to prove your status and ratings currency, the other in a safe place (e.g. at home) so long as you keep the two of them updated, i.e. identical, at periodic intervals?

I'm not suggesting two log books with different entries in them, as that would surely be illegal.

PA39
20th Aug 2007, 05:44
No there is no requirement to carry your log book in the aircraft, but must produce it elsewhere if requested by the authority.

Tmbstory
20th Aug 2007, 07:42
That makes good sense & is the course that a Regulator should follow.

Most pilots do not have the time to keep two log books going at the same time. If anyone was P51 time inclined, imagine the field day they may have!

Captain Nomad
20th Aug 2007, 10:50
With respect to PNG laws, I am happy to be corrected but I don't believe it is a legal requirement to carry license, medical, or logbook domestically.

License evidence of acft type ratings, CIR etc is evidenced by that extra couple of A5 pages which are seperate to the actual license card.

kev_laline
20th Aug 2007, 23:43
Ramped in PNG?
Where would this be most likely to occur?
Has anybody been ramped lately? Did you ramp easily?

markben
21st Aug 2007, 00:35
Always high on my list of priorities when landing in Tari or Tadji on an RPT flight. :}

Ricky Bobby
21st Aug 2007, 04:31
You don't even need valid ID to be airside, wearing a white shirt will do!.

OzExpat
21st Aug 2007, 13:03
There is NO REQUIREMENT to carry logbook or licence with you. The rule only requires that the licence be produced within a reasonable period of time. As for the logbook, the rule states that you have a certain amount of time in which to make entries, depending on whether you are at your home base or not. Irgo, there is no need to carry the logbook with you all the time.

You MUST, however, be able to produce your medical certificate on demand.

Tee Emm
21st Aug 2007, 14:06
I seem to recall that CASA in Australia, prefer people to leave there log books at home to prevent them from being destroyed in the event of an accident, which makes a lot of sense

True. Makes you wonder why CASA are not consistent and require the maintenance release to be also left at home base to prevent it being destroyed in event of an accident. A copy of the maintenance release could easily be left at each port of call just like a passenger manifest. At least there would be an audit trail to see if any recorded defects were likely to be a factor in an accident.