PDA

View Full Version : Paydirt at Cargolux

busdriver330
11th Dec 2000, 21:08
I'm interested in working for Cargolux. You hear so many rumours about winning-the-lottery type salaries. Can anybody shed some light on actual pay and duty information.

Big thanx

icejet
11th Dec 2000, 22:33
Hiya I heard that contract wise you have 8 days off summer and 9 days off winter but that doesnīt say much because they are flying so long legs and because of JAR they fly 10-12 days a month. I heard also that in luxemburg the tax law is good for families, because the more children you have the less tax you pay. Abut salaries I heard that new F/os donīt go on the same scale as the ones that started 2-3 years ago. But the salaries are good.
Best regards

LAVDUMPER
12th Dec 2000, 02:17
Busdriver330,

The guy you want to speak to has the callsign "Moonbeam Purple." He is a 744 F/O for Cargolux and apparently really enjoys his job - although he has talked about some of the recent labor/pay disputes.

Flying worldwide on a 747-400 wouldn't be a bad gig in my book. If you get the opportunity - go for it!

Moonbeam Purple is the man you would be looking for - hopefully he will respond to this post...

Cheers and good luck!

Ignition Override
12th Dec 2000, 08:48
I'm just curious whether the Cargolux crews fly for a while in just two or three time zones or do they fly only very long haul each leg, east and west? Do their layovers allow them at least two days to adjust to local time?

One of our FOs has a wife who is an MD-11 FO at FEDEX, and their pilots can supposedly refuse a trip sometimes due to fatigue from severe "body clock" disruptions, after returning from Narita, Emirates etc.

Our 747 pilots who return from days in the Pacific Rim are told to avoid major personal decisions for about three days. After years of this flying, long-haul pilots seem to age faster than the domestic crews.

sudacainfrance
15th Dec 2000, 12:09
Hi there: Working hours are a little long but layovers, destinations and working environment are awesome.
But again I cannot compare with much else.
Keep smilling

PrettyBoy
15th Dec 2000, 17:29
Duty times sometimes real looong and pay without doubt below par but work atmosphere and layovers real good. With a few more days at home every month it would be even better....

Captain Haddock
16th Dec 2000, 00:39
Is there a predominance, or recruitment preference, for any particular nationality in Cargolux, eg Germans?

sudacainfrance
16th Dec 2000, 14:50
Let's put it this way: There is no recruitment preference, although there is a great predominance of Germans. Ya voll.
I also forgot to mention that there are ongoing negotiations to better working conditions. (Cross fingers)
It is true that sometimes duty hours are looong but the bunks are great.
To make a long story short, the water is not as cold as in some other lakes.
Good vibes...

Captain Airclues
16th Dec 2000, 23:51
Ignition Overide

"longhaul crews seem to age faster than domestic crews"

After 33 years of longhaul flying (the last 26 on the 747), that must make me 84?

Airclues

Ps. Any jobs going in Cargolux in 18 months time?

Ignition Override
17th Dec 2000, 08:42
Right Captain Airclues-some folks' bodies adapt better than the rest. Wish I had that type (no pun intended), but do enjoy the large variety of domestic airports and the "Joy of Taco Bell", a well-kept secret (shhhh).