PDA

View Full Version : DC4 still in service

219joochiat
19th Aug 2007, 23:08
I have read a short article in the april issue of Info Pilote (French magasine) about a company operating 2 DC4 from Antananarivo airport (Madagascar), built in 45 and 47 ex KLM and South African Airways.
They also said they fly from Mada to South Africa in 8hrs :confused:
Registrations are impossible to spot...
It sounds so unbelievable...
Anyone know about this outfit?

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Aug 2007, 05:53
WestAir (I think), Springbok Flying Safaris and Phoebus Apollo also operate them at Rand and in Namibia. Couple of other classics also still operational.

Tropicalchief
20th Aug 2007, 06:34
Give me a Viscount any day

theRealFlyingNomad
20th Aug 2007, 10:49
Well, As long as I remebember, I Never seen a DC4 based in "Tana"...and would be curious to see how they can still keep such plane flying in that country!

Except a couple of old rotting Ex-Army DC3 in aggony at the en of the runway, I don't think their is much Ooooold beauties around there!

So, maybe I haven't seen the beast, maybe it's a new buisness (I left almost a year ago)...Or maybe your article is kack or is completely outdated!

But after all, this is a Gossip forum, so, lets dream a bit!:)

Au revoir,

219joochiat
20th Aug 2007, 21:39
The pictures were published last april and as I understood were pretty fresh (taken from an F/O who landed at Tana).
They also say it takes the mechanic 8hrs to fill them up as the flow from the avgas pump is very slow...
RealNomad did you fly with Aeromarine?

theRealFlyingNomad
21st Aug 2007, 01:22
No no..
I've been trying to get a job up there, but the free seats were quite rare!..then Aeromarine had their own pilots, and I was especially interested in their SN601 Corvette, due to soe JAR license crap...Corvette that rarely flies...but you only realise the whole thing once there...as for the rest..

Then Catovair stoped their ops...
Then AirMad went one more time on strike..
Then...then...then...

Usual Madagascar economical problems...:}