PDA

View Full Version : Best school in Florida for PPLH?

guy1251
19th Aug 2007, 21:07
Looking for some pointers on a good school to train at in Florida. I have a fixed wing FAA PPL and looking to get the rotor 'add on'. Any advice on a good schools to investigate would be much appreciated. I've heard you can complete a 40 hour PPLH add on course in 2-3 weeks as the radio work is already familar. Does this sound about right?

cptjim
20th Aug 2007, 00:15
Guy, I see that you are fairly new here so I'll point you in the right direction.
Check the link below for more info on heli training in Florida.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178199&highlight=florida+helicopter+schools

You can also use the search button at the top right of the page.

I hope you find the answers you need and pm me if you have any other questions!

regards

CptJim :ok:

guy1251
20th Aug 2007, 15:33
Thanks for the advice CptJim, I'll pm you with any questions! :ok:

fancyears
20th Aug 2007, 16:16
Iv had a very negative experience of ocean helicopters, like many more people from trinidad and Irland not to mention the uk. Money diminishes rapidly from your account, there is many extra charges which you do not know about before you go. They make mistakes and charge you for flights you do not do. They also have accounts on this forum and i suspect they place positive comments about themselves, which are in my opinion totally untrue.

newguy2020
25th Aug 2007, 21:53
I am new to pprune and your query caught my attention. I am just completing my FAA PPLH in Florida at the moment. I hope to finish next week and will then post a detailed list of points you need to consider , based on my own personal experience. Armed with this list I hope you and others like you will be able to make a more informed choice about where and with whom you do your training and not repeat the mistakes I made.

However, what I can tell you right now is that 2-3 weeks is very optimistic and you may be surprised to learn that it can take much longer for reasons which have nothing to do with either the weather or your aptitude to fly helis.

skippo
26th Aug 2007, 12:40
Bristow Academy,
Proffesional school with good training helicopters (300CBI):ok::ok:.

Dan fily
26th Aug 2007, 20:20
Having worked as a Helicopter Flight Instructor in California and in Florida, My advice is to remember the GOLDEN rule. The one with the GOLD makes the rules. Don't put money on account, pay as you go. Costs a bit more but that way you can't be ripped off!. If the school insists on money up front walk away, there are an abundence of flight schools in the States!. I was ripped off so learn from my mistakes.

whirlydude
26th Aug 2007, 21:48
I will second that . Dont under any circumstances pay by block payment up front . I has this problem in may of this year i had just paid my second $2000 block payment when i had to come back to the uk in an emergency . The school is operating out of torrance and wont answer any emails despite me sending in my last email that i would inform everyone of the way i was treated :ugh:.They dont seem to be bothered We all work hard for our money and no one likes to be ripped off . Luckily i paid by credit card so its now up to them to fight on my behalf .

Dan fily
2nd Sep 2007, 12:09
Look at my previous thread. DO NOT PAY-UP FRONT!. I have advised many people not to do this, but they still do! Also the Visa situation, if you want to work in the USA as a Flight Instructor, make sure the school can issue a J1 visa. An M1 is no good!.

guy1251
3rd Sep 2007, 21:19
How about could9 , in Florida? Anyone flown there?
Good/bad experiences? See they are British run reasonable prices. Bristow also looks good thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!;)

flyheli
4th Sep 2007, 01:50
Try
http://www.hdwhelicopters.com/
a small school in Ft. Lauderdale which will give you the attention you need. The owner is a fixed wing pilot as well so he know's what you'll need.

Helihopefull
5th Sep 2007, 00:05
Hello all,

I'm new to this site and was wondering if any one could help?? I'm thinking about getting my PPL(H) and then CPL at a later date, like when I win the LOTTO!!!! I'm thinking about the USA as it's half the price of the UK and has good flying weather unlike the UK.

It seems that even once I have built up lots of hours it seems like there is stil little or no chance of a job, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it worth me even doing the CPL?

It is a job that I'm very keen on but when it comes to putting loans against my house, it gets a bit scarry!!!

Any help would be great,

Cheers.