PDA

View Full Version : Advice please crab chaps

northernmonkey
19th Aug 2007, 15:02
An aquaintance of mine (no 65) served 28 years man and boy in Crab air.

His frau is seriously ill and needs round the clock care and attention and my oppo is genuinley struggling. I said I would ask some questions but thought this might be a crackign recourse for feedback and help.

Apparently his RAFA membership expired some years ago and never bothered to renew it.

I am aware SSAFA and the RBL are probably up to their eyes with the casualties coming back from warmer climes, any advice or any numbers I could bell will be gratefully recieved.

Clockwork Mouse
19th Aug 2007, 15:18
The ABF, RAFA, RBL etc don't require you to be a paid up member to be entitled to help. Having served is sufficient. They exist to provide such advice and assistance. Get in touch with the local branch (phone book) and sound them out.

adrian mole
19th Aug 2007, 16:14
SSAFA, RBL and RAFBF will not deter anyone from applying for help. Don't try and approach Army, Navy or Marine funds direct though.
If your friend was ex-RAF get him to apply direct either through the form on the RAFBF website www.rafbf.org or you can ring direct 0800-169-2942 and either a SSAFA Caseworker or a RAFA Welfare Officer will visit.
Otherwise he can contact SSAFA through their website www.ssafa.org.uk or ringing SSAFA Support Line 0800-731-4880.
The SSAFA criteria is that contact will be made with the applicant within 48 hours and a Caseworker will contact within 5 days.
Good Luck

airborne_artist
19th Aug 2007, 16:26
I'll second all the above. SSAFA are neutral - they simply assess and then contact the fund(s) for money. I've found their caseworkers to be helpful, efficient and quick off the mark. One of our lads needed support and they were quick to visit, write up his needs and get them funded.

Clearly the current situation means they are busier, but they'd be horrified to think that people in real need were holding back from contacting them as a result.

northernmonkey
20th Aug 2007, 06:13
Many thanks gents.

Will act today and post a sitrep later.

It seems not all crabs are gits eh? :D

Blacksheep
20th Aug 2007, 08:12
Be forewarned - SSAFA told me to contact Social Services when I contacted them for assistance for my Dad. He's an 83 year old ex-Royal Navy Yeoman of Signals and he became unable to look after Mum who's wheelchair bound. (He can't even look after himself properly any more) The Royal Navy Association weren't much help either.

The RAFA seem to be more switched on to assistance but they've had to close some of their respite homes and are now sharing some facilities with the RAFBF. Its still worth contacting both RAFA and RAFBF:

RAFA (http://www.rafa.org.uk/welfare.asp)

RAFBF (http://www.rafbf.org/howtoapply/)

What RAFA needs is more members - please do consider joining. It isn't expensive and there are RAFALOs on nearly all Stations.

Moderators: I hope that the above bit of charitable "advertising" is permissable? If you need to delete it, please leave the "how to get help" links up.

northernmonkey
25th Aug 2007, 11:07
Many thanks chaps, from the advice given, a case worker has been out and help is en route.