PDA

View Full Version : LHR to Lima

Alanwsg
19th Aug 2007, 14:37
Next month I'm flying LHR to Lima via Amsterdam on KLM.

I know KLM have a very bad reputation for transfering luggage at Amsterdam and was wondering if there's anything I can do to increase the chances of my bag turning up in Lima at the same time as myself?

Also, for the first time, I've booked buisness class tickets. Any tips on how to get the best out of this?

Thanks.

pwalhx
19th Aug 2007, 15:02
I am tempting providence here I know, but I have flown KLM many times from the UK to the Far East and never had any problems with baggage in biz class, nor have any of my colleagues.

PAXboy
19th Aug 2007, 16:42
There are no guesses on when baggage misses the change or does not. However, the greatest single factor is time. If the transfer time is too short, then the risk goes up. Equally, if the transfer time is too long (12 hours) then the bags can also get left on the sides. This goes for ANY airport. But the usual reason is having your arrival and departure time too close together. If you are in C, then you will be able to use the lounge to wait.

Cyrano
20th Aug 2007, 07:36
If your connecting time is long enough, and if you really really want to reduce the chance of your bags going astray, you can simply not through-check them. In other words, check them only as far as Amsterdam, collect them there, go outside and check them in again for Lima (you're business class, so there shouldn't be much of a queue). Yes, it's hassle. Yes, you have to go through security again. But the chances of losing the bags are much reduced.

Alanwsg
20th Aug 2007, 08:21
I don't think there's time for that, the wait is only about 90 minutes.

What happens if the bags do miss the connection, do they have to wait for the next KLM flight to Lima or are they put on any old flight going in the right direction?

PAXboy
20th Aug 2007, 08:48
Typically it's the next flight to that destination by your carrier. However, if there are code shares on the route, that may alter it.

bluesafari
20th Aug 2007, 20:33
if you speak to the purser just before the doors are shut they will be able to tell you if your bags are on board from their print-out, very easy if you are in business class. After travelling many years by KLM my bags have only been mislaid twice, both times on the Amsterdam to U.K. legs, they turned up later same day.

PAXboy
20th Aug 2007, 22:07
Of course the old advice is still the best: If there is any item that you REALLY cannot afford to lose for ever - do not check it in the hold! Not forgetting any medication that you may need AFTER the journey, rather than during.

Alanwsg
21st Aug 2007, 10:01
That's pretty much my plan but it's not watertight, I'm going trekking in the Andes: can't see them allowing me to waltz through security with an ice-axe and crampons in my bag :=

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
21st Aug 2007, 19:16
My experience of Amsterdam is that the baggage transfer is great if airport ops are running normally. Their baggage system is one of the most advanced in Europe I believe.

Business class gives you priority tags for your bags (if that means anything), so your only worry should be a late departure from LHR.

Otherwise, book onto the flight before from LHR as a backup.