PDA

View Full Version : Older and married- to go north or not??

Gearupandorrf
19th Aug 2007, 12:50
Hi guys,

I could really use some insight from those of you who have "been there and done that".

Specifically, I'm having a serious think about re- starting my flying Career.
There seems to be so many more opportunities now, and into the future, for older (I'm currently 33- with about 300hrs TT) guys with low total time to secure entry level jobs, and to not have the "age not commensurate with experience" card thrown at them when it comes time to look at the Airlines.

In light of this, it still seems that my best chance of making things happen- quickly- is to head up north (I'm from Melbourne).
For instance, there was a recent C206/210 Job with Broome Air Services asking for 300 hrs TT- including subsidised housing and use of a Vehicle.

I'd really like to hear from any of you who have made such a move, and been married/ older as well.
- How did it work out for you?
- Was being married at the time a help or otherwise?
- For a white female, how safe would you rate some of the northern WA/ NT towns/ communities to live in?
- Would an older Pilot like myself be considered seriously by the likes of Slingair/ Alligator etc.?

Fortunately I've got two things that are of going to be of benefit:
- A very understanding Wife who fully understands my desire and need to be back in the air (who also has some very portable qualifications) and;
- The fact that we own our Home (which we would rent out), and have no debts.

And, I guess the final question- have I left my run too late to forge a decent career? The LHS of a QF B744 isn't the be all and end all for me. Realistically, I would be more than happy to be eventually flying for a Regional or either of the low cost Airlines.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts/ opinions.

Cheers,
Gearup.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
19th Aug 2007, 12:57
Gearup,

Go North, its a great experience.

If i was in your position i would head to Kununurra or Broome, a better life for the wife.

Alligator was advertising a couple of weeks ago.

SmokingHole
19th Aug 2007, 13:05
Check Your PM's

Bendo
19th Aug 2007, 13:14
Gear orf,

When I was in KNX (more than 10 years ago... and things were much harder then) at least three of the other guys were 30+ and married.

If Mrs Gearupandoff can earn a crust (teacher, nurse, or just capable) and she is willing to do it 'for the team' then you can't go wrong. Wyndham, KNX, BRM or DBY are all great towns and because you are a couple you will be viewed differently to all the "blow in-blow out" pilots.

That her quals are portable and she supports you makes you luckier than you know :D

There are plenty of, ah, shall we say "non-local" women working even in the remote communities and unlike the city I found that people in the communities make friends and make an effort to stay that way because let's face it, there ain't enough room to make enemies.

Go for it!

Gearupandorrf
19th Aug 2007, 13:50
It's much appreciated.

Lefthanded Rock Thrower- Broome, Kunnas, Derby or Halls Creek would be my first ports of call. Not too sure about getting much more remote than that at this stage.

SmokingHole- Many thanks for your PM. It's actually very inspirational. I'll be in contact again soon via PM.

Bendo- Yeah I'm a pretty lucky bloke! After living in the "big smoke" my whole life, I guess making the move to a much smaller fish bowl would take some adjusting!

Actually- just one more quick Q.
Given my 300hrs, and lack of a MECIR and ATPL theory- should I spend another, say, 6-8 months here in Melbourne getting these things out of the way, or would there be a stronger argument that, considering my age, I should try to make a move up north sooner than later?

I can imagine that it would be easier to do these prior to making the move, given that I would still be earning my current income, and that it may be too hard time wise if I left it 'till later.

Any thoughts?
Cheers.

pithblot
19th Aug 2007, 14:05
My thoughts...

go for it....the timing is perfect.

Do your MECIR
Keep your job
Study your ATPLs
knock on Melbourne doors while studying (you never know what will happen)

Then do an MECIR renewal and head North.

Cultivate your marriage - it's more important than your career ;)

Cheers,

Pithblot

SmokingHole
19th Aug 2007, 14:26
Do your MECIR
Keep your job
Study your ATPLs

Hard to fund mecir and atpl course while on inexp pilot wages. Do these in the bigsmoke before you hit the road and, like I did, have your income cut down by 2/3rds.
It doesnt take long to climb back up to a respectable income. By that time you'll be so used to being poor, you'll wonder where all your big city income used to go (down the pisser). But at least you'll be happy to go to work - if you can call it that.;)

Howard Hughes
19th Aug 2007, 22:06
Cultivate your marriage - it's more important than your career
This is the best advice offered so far on this thread, what ever decision you make always keep this in mind!:ok:

BeerMan
19th Aug 2007, 23:31
Gear Up,

Check your PMs.

Mr. Hat
20th Aug 2007, 12:16
Gearupandorff,

I don't think you'll have too many dramas getting a piston single job at all. Whats good to see is that you aren't asking how to short cut the whole process. Not knocking people that have. Just saying the fact that you are aware that you will have to start on singles and work your way up is a good sign.

What do you do with yourself in Melbourne (for a crust)? I ask as unfortunately the money with the so called shortage has not really followed. I know money ain't eerything but it could be hard to adjust to if you are used to being paid a descent wage. And sometimes you will really shake your head as just about everyone earns double what you do...

Then again you already have a house so thats a plus!

As for leaving the run too late. Don't worry about it plenty of demand at the moment.

One more thing - its a rollercoaster as you know - ups and downs. Don't forget that when you have a down your partner (who sounds like a bit of champ) will experience it to so treat him/her carefully as being the partner of a pilot is not an easy job!

Good Luck.

Mr. Hat
20th Aug 2007, 12:23
SmokingHole has a good point - but on the other hand have a chat to some people in the know about the potential to claim some of the costs (MECIR when working for a company that has a IFR twin) (ATPL or they have a bigger ones again...).

Its a catch 22. My mentors said "ATPLs MECIR? Don't leave home without em!". I overtook some that had left home without em but then they caught up anyway. Aviation is like that.

Worth thinking about.....

FRQ Charlie Bravo
25th Sep 2007, 15:40
I came up here "Older and Married" and with a kid (OK so I've probably blown my cover now) and I highly recommend it. I was lucky enough to have lined up a job before the move but that's not to say that you need to do the same.

I would suggest that you get an initial multi and then come up. No need for a MECIR (yes, yes like all experiences it could come in handy but so could a balloon licence) as any CP worth working for wouldn't send you out in the soup too early anyway. Then maybe go home for a few weeks for holidays and then get the MECIR. I only say get the initial multi as it's something that will both get you back up to speed and be a step towards the next logical goal (Multi time).

To answer your questions:
*Being married was a major help for me as my wife is a champ and has taken it all in her stride (she enjoys it here but the heat is still an issue for both of us... hip hip hooray for Air Con)
*As a Gardiya woman my wife (who is giving me input right now) feels safe having lived in two small Kimberley towns. She's made some nice friends; many of whom are in similar situations (i.e. married to cops, teachers, tradies etc). As Bendo put it "there ain't enough room to make enemies."
*And, oh yeah Sling and Gator would definitely look kindly on your age.

We're up here living it now and if you have any questions PM me.

Also, if you come up here with 300 TT at 33 and leave 1.5 to 2 years later with 1000 - 1500 TT and 34-35 you'll definitely still be in the game for whatever it is that you're looking for. Of course, I've been known to say that I'd do this job forever if the pay were decent for a family.:ok:

Mr Bomb
25th Sep 2007, 22:31
Gearupandorrf,
I am in exactly the same boat as you (exactly the same age as well!) except with two young kids (currently 3 and 2) with a wife who is a qualified Chef and Secretary. I was looking at the QANTAS cadet scheme as a way of gaining entry to the airlines. However, after a bit more research I have decided that I will do as has been suggested here and stay in my current job and get my MECIR and ATPL subjects and then go looking for the job. I have about 400 hours, 50 multi which will obviously be about 100 multi by the time I do my MECIR and I will also have my instructors rating (currently doing it now). So probably towards mid to late next year I will be actively looking.

Might even chuck a post on here at that time to see if anyone has any leads!

Anyway good luck to you and maybe I'll run into you up North sometime next year!

Cheers
Mr Bomb

P.S. I spent three Easters in Kunnanurra at the caravan park on the mighty river ORD waterskiing so my experiences and memories of Kunnas are very good! (No never had to work there though!) And it was above the weir so we only had to ski around and over the freshies (I hope!)

Nose wheel first
25th Sep 2007, 23:26
Gearup, there are a few people like yourself who are looking at getting back into the industry and it's great to see.

I'm one of the oldest at the place where I work and I have another half (but no kids that I know of) and i'm doing fine. Mrs Nose Wheel First is originally from a more temperate climate (where they get snow in winter) so the higher temps during the buildup and wet were initially a little hard for her but as someone else pointed out ..... thank goodness for aircon!!! The heat is more than managable so don't let that put you off. (Besides, the wet season is amazing with all the water and the huge monsoonal thunderstorms)

I don't know what skills Mrs Gearup has (any uni degree or other studies) not that it's a major, but if she is also looking for work (she might need to if you are on single drivers salary) there are plenty of jobs going. There are always hospital jobs (nursing, clerical, anything) accounts jobs, waitressing, bar work, Aboriginal liason workers, project managers of all sorts of things, child care workers, you name it, there are jobs going. My wife found a really good job within 12 hours of starting to look. (That included a full interview followed by "thanks for comming, we'd like you to start at 0800 tomorrow") and she hasn't even got any studies behind her!!!

As for the ATPL and MECIR issue, you won't need them to get a job with any of the operators in KU, WYM, HLC, BRM etc. You can generally go a season without expecting to be offered twins (although that isn't always the case now.) but if you don't have a twin rating you may find others jump ahead of you after that. (Even having your initial twin rating without IFR tacked on the end it would be an advantage)

The Kimberley is a great place to live. You'll see things that some people never see in a lifetime, you'll go places you've never heard of, if you're into fishing, boating, camping, 4wdriving etc, it's fantastic.

My advice (for what it's worth) is fire a CV off to the various companies around and follow it up with a phone call. As the season is winding down at the moment, chances are there won't be any hiring until early next year - particularly in KNX - but you never know.

As someone else pointed out, look after your marriage. If you don't have your wifes support, life will be difficult. (VERY DIFFICULT :})

If you want to know anything more specific, PM me.

My advice, go for it!!!!

NWF

Kanga767
26th Sep 2007, 02:16
...just avoid having a tiff with your partner, who is sitting in the airport office, on company HF...

K

Pilotolatino
2nd Oct 2007, 11:43
Hi guys;

It's refreshing to see some mature guys out there living the dream! I'm 30 this year and just about to finish my CPL, fATPL IREX course in Melbourne. Unlike Gearup I'm happily and tactically remaining single and more than willing to move up north for my first charter job. The scenery looks awesome and I would love to avoid instructing...I'll end up with around 200 TT (+ some if I complete my MECIR)
So some of you have mentioned Kununurra, Halls Creek and other places in far NW WA. Looks like an amazing region to work in. My questions are:

1) does anyone have any suggestions for operators either in NW WA or North QLD that are worth contacting that offer: good conditions, reasonable pay (I am realistic), twin progression?
2) What types should I invest in endorsements for other than 182, 172?

Many thanks

PL

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Oct 2007, 14:00
C206/210 seem to be the workhorses of the north west.

Maybe the Gippsland spam can.

Dr :8