PDA

View Full Version : Reboots using IE

Wodrick
19th Aug 2007, 08:58
One has a problem that, with my limited understanding I can’t work out.

Computer is Mesh, AMD processor 2200+ running XP SP2.

It is set up for two users, myself and beloved. I habitually use Firefox and Outlook 2003, while she uses IE6 and Outlook Express.

When I use the thing it just works, and does not invoke any comment. I have the occasional crash which is generally software related and identifiable from the error report.

Her use is limited to the Internet and e-mail and the thing frequently re-boots, usually when following hyperlinks, sometimes when using OE. This manifests as a full reboot, no warning, no BSOD, nothing.
I can use IE with no problem.

We are set up as two users, I think conventionally. I think that the copy of IE will be the same one regardless of the user. I have done a repair of IE (run IE.INF with the XP CD available) but this seems to have had little effect.

I am at a loss and under reasonable pressure to sort it out.

Thoughts ?

bnt
19th Aug 2007, 10:53
Have you tried looking up the STOP code, on support.microsoft.com ? You can find this code in the System Event Log (in Event Viewer) logged after the restart as "the previous system shutdown was unexpected". There should also be a link in the message like "For more information, see Help and Support Center ..." - try that and see if anything comes up.

There are too many kinds of crashes, and causes of crashes, to make any kind of diagnosis from "it crashes"... because it happens while you're in IE does not guarantee that IE is the cause.

BOAC
19th Aug 2007, 11:06
Wodrick - I cannot see how this would have come about, but worth a look at My Computer(Rt Click)/Properties/Advanced/Startup and recoverySettings IN EACH PROFILE and see if you have a difference in the bottom box 'Automatically restart'.