PDA

View Full Version : Attention JMC pilots

Comanche
2nd Dec 2000, 02:27
Could any of you answer the following questions regarding the option of flying in the USA for 4 months during the winter when you work for JMC?

* which temporary base(s) is available in the USA during this period?

* is this only limited to the 757 or also the Airbus?

* how much extra money does one get by doing this (I am considering joining, but it seems with less than 2000TT you can only join as F/O not as SFO meaning I'd have to take a considerable salary cut on the basic salary)

* is it reasonable to expect that these wet lease practices will continue in the future?

* if you bring your family, do you get your own house (or do you get only apartment type?) ?

Any other comments regarding working for JMC, good or bad, are welcome. Many thanks

gehenna
2nd Dec 2000, 02:58
Comanche

In response to your question about being out in the US for the winter.

At the moment it's only for the A320, but may involve the B757 next year.

The deal, briefly is as follows. You have to have an American ATP with a type rating. If you don't have the ATP, you are sent to the US for a very short course to obtain the latter. You then attend a full type rating course, which includes 5 fixed-base sims, and 8 full-flight. Oh, you also have an oral and a simulator check with the Feds. This lasts about 7-8 weeks. Hotac is paid for, plus 24 hour/day allowances for that period. Then it's 25 hours of line-training which they call IOE, Initial Operating Experience.

Bases are allocated on seniority, and include Chicago, Philadelphia, Minneapolis and Milwaukee. The work pattern is 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off. As you have an American ATP, you are able to ride free (jump-seat) to and from the US/UK with American carriers, making for a better home life.

Once you start your IOE, the money becomes pretty good. Your full JMC salary + for F/O's $40000/annum paid pro-rata, this latter part being tax-free but up to you regarding your tax liability. From this amount you have to find your own accommodation. If you finish the contract, there is a terminal bonus of $6500.

The voice of experience, as I am involved in the above. As for JMC, yes they are pretty good, although we work hard in the summer, with plenty of night flights down to the Canaries, Greece and Turkey. Could do a lot worse. That's my opinion, and I'm sure that there are many who will disagree.

Good Luck

Comanche
3rd Dec 2000, 02:35
Many thanks for that Gehenna. That has answered some questions, but raised a few as well. Let's assume I were to join JMC in the next half year or so (on the Airbus). Would it be possible for me to work in any of these US bases the winter of 2001, or do only get the most senior guys get it? And if so, is 4 months the maximum and is it likely for this practice to continue in many more years to come??

The idea would be for my wife and little one to come along during this period, commuting transatlantic every 2 weeks would be too hard. In addition, jump seating on international flights operated by a US carrier is near to impossible, so I have been told. Suppose finding suitable accommodation for 4 months every year would be very difficult.

Wouldn't mind night flying that much.

Thanks again for your comments.

gehenna
4th Dec 2000, 00:31
Comanche

Looks like this practise is here for a few years.

This year they only just had enough volunteers, so you should get a look in. Contract is from mid-ish December until around the end of April, when the a/c are required back in the UK to fly the JMC lines.

Good Luck

Mr Benn
4th Dec 2000, 02:02
I assume this is a wet lease, using JMC aircraft and crews, but operating out of US bases. Why in that case do all the UK crews need to have an FAA ATP and type rating?
And why does this take 2 months?
Surely the fact they already have an CAA (ICAO) type rating and ATP is enough?
Also, can anyone let on as to what destinations the flights go to?
Do the contracts finish in April?
Finally, do you get any JMC allowances whilst the $40,000 pro rata is being paid?

idleup
4th Dec 2000, 14:00
whilst we are here, anybody got info on the JMC interview?

JMC hopefull

gehenna
4th Dec 2000, 20:57
Mr Benn

Regarding the US deal with JMC.

The a/c are operated on the Ryan AOC, or us equivalent, The FAA will not recognise the UK licence, hence the requirement for an FAA licence, full type rating and simulator details. There are your 2 months.

Destinations in the Caribbean and Mexico.

Contract ends in April as the JMC a/c are required back in the UK for our operation, however this pattern of a/c going to the US for the winter will happen again this time next year.

Regarding salary. Are you not satisfied with a full JMC and Ryan salary? Do you really want more. Work out the package then ask the question again, or in another way, how many jobs are there where you receive 2 salaries.

Only sensible questions, please.

Gehenna