PDA

View Full Version : Green Entries

passpartout
18th Aug 2007, 21:37
Does anyone know where the tradition of green entries in logbooks for operational sorties started? And does everyone do it still today?

I've seen logbooks from WW2 that didn't have any green writing, so perhaps it's a recent thing?

PTT
19th Aug 2007, 08:23
We've stopped. JHC will no longer fund the required amount of green ink to SH units. :rolleyes:

MG
19th Aug 2007, 08:48
If you look at logbooks from the Second World War the nighttime operational entries tended to be in red. Whether this is because they're for ops of for night, I'm not sure. Could green have been introduced for daytime operational sorties?
Looking at Pete Squires' logbook at the IWM exhibition, for his sorties during the Falklands War, his entires are in green so it dates back to at least 1982.

helidriver
19th Aug 2007, 09:56
Despite flying in 3 major operations/conflicts, I have never been permitted to write entries in green. I don't know of any Army pilots who have been permitted to continue this 'tradition' in the last ten years or so and would be interested to know the official party line, if there is one.

Regards,

h

abbotyobs
20th Aug 2007, 06:00
Dont ask an F3 mate!:)

BEagle
20th Aug 2007, 06:42
I have a feeling that 'green' entries are a bit of a myth.

All the wartime logbooks I've seen only have blue or blue/black for normal sorties and red for operational sorties.

Similarly, a fair while before the South Atlantic war, some of the WIWOL QFIs had 'live QRA(I)' sorties in their logbooks in red.

VinRouge
20th Aug 2007, 07:16
I heard during GW1 the GR1 mates sent the F3 squadrons a big box of green pens by special delivery! Legends!

Pontius Navigator
20th Aug 2007, 07:32
Must get my MPA red felt tip and go over all my ******** sorties before .........

Ooops, an Omega has just stopped outside:)

teeteringhead
20th Aug 2007, 07:52
Never heard of it before GW 1 - in previous unpleasantnesses one kept a note in one of the spare columns on the RH page of the logbook ....

beardy
20th Aug 2007, 08:35
My father's RAF wartime logbook has ops in blue/black and night hours in red.

I had heard of green ink for ops well before GW1.

philrigger
20th Aug 2007, 09:12
;)
I always thought that back in the 50's and 60's that Green entries were for a "Good Show" type of thing and that Black entries were for a "Bad Show" type of thing. Or am I confusing the issue with something else?

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

Ken F
20th Aug 2007, 09:27
I hope that this is relevant to the discussion.
I do not know when the green entries were initiated but my father told me that when he was informed of his, it was so new that they did not believe at first that it was to be written in green ink, which it was. I quote from the logbooks which I inherited. The authority suggests to me that it was started in October 1944.

Green Endorsement
"159460 F/Lt G Fraser is commended for having flown, under the difficult conditions peculiar to South East Asia, 1,000 hours on Single Engine aircraft without an avoidable accident."

authority AMO A 10/44 22.10.45

talk_shy_tall_knight
20th Aug 2007, 09:33
Ken F

I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing here. Green Endorsements as in a pat on the back from a third party, or a green entry that the log book holder enters themselves to record an 'operational sortie'.

Just to cloud the issue further, I know of folk who have done it in red.

philrigger
20th Aug 2007, 10:22
;)
I stand corrected. I was thinking of Green/Black Endorsements.

I'll sod off now.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

Affirmatron
20th Aug 2007, 11:41
Abbotyobs

I'm an F3 mate with green entries in my log-book. What is your point, exactly? Would you like to wind your neck in?

Ivor Fynn
20th Aug 2007, 12:37
VinRouge.

The GR1 unit actualy sent a certain F3 Sqn a bottle of Tipex and some black pens. As they hadn't been into Iraq. The other thing which was the in at the time, was that on any F3 Sqn print in the Mess, was to draw a big arrow with North annotated pointing towards the rear of said F3.

Ivor:E:E:E

helidriver
20th Aug 2007, 17:42
Cool, if those F3 mates have green entries I can probably wave a green wand over about 1000 of my Op hours, sod it I can't be bothered I know the truth!;)

h