PDA

View Full Version : Slower Torrent Downloads

joe2812
18th Aug 2007, 21:01
BT have kindly given us a free upgrade to 8 meg and supplied us with one of their BT HomeHub thingies.
I put the HomeHub in and tried it but it kept losing connection. I went back to the previous modem (Bt Voyager 2100) as I believe it can support 8 meg, but for some reason my torrent downloads and extremely slow.
Same settings on the router and the torrent programs but I can't seem to achieve much over about 30 kb/s.
Any ideas anyone..?
Thanks in advance :)

Keef
19th Aug 2007, 00:05
Are you sure it's the router? I've seen some very slow torrent speeds from time to time, for no apparent reason. The next day, it's been fine.

Does your ISP have restrictions on the use of Torrents?

Have you checked the MTU settings? Someone recently posted a help about how to set your MTU for the optimum results.

Otherwise, what does the ADSLguide speed test say?

green granite
19th Aug 2007, 06:19
I gave up on torrents because they are much slower than normal downloads, I can pull 3 downloads from say rapidshare from different mirrors at 250Kbs each without any problems, a single download from microsoft usually comes down at around the 700Kbs, who needs torrents, (other than the providers trying to do mass downloads on the cheap by using everybody's computer as a server)

I tried recently using torrents for down loading tv programmes from the BBC, apart from having to virtually disable my security to get it to work, it took me something like an hour to download a 45 min prog. :(

joe2812
19th Aug 2007, 21:17
Speed Guide results:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/11875579793961423487.html

Doesn't mean a lot to me if i'm honest. Not that techie...

Fairly certain it's not the torrent, tried a few different ones over the last week or so at different times and always slow.

ISP is BT Yahoo Broadband - Never had a problem before.

Have tried searching for the MTU help guide but no joy - Any advice on the MTU front..?

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys :ok: