PDA

View Full Version : benefits

DEFPOTEC
28th Nov 2000, 07:04
Caravan,

I only receive 60% of my compensation in the form of pay. The other 40% comes from stock options and profit sharing.

I do not use the company medical plan. I am on my wife’s plan. It’s an exceptionally good one. The one my company has is OK for today’s standards I think. I hear some people complain about what is covered, medication etc, and what’s not but I think some of that is normal. If you are on the plan you pay for part of it and the company pays the other part. I don’t remember how much it is.

Retirement is a 401k. Defined contribution. I can save $10,500 per year tax deferred. The company matches my contribution up to a max of $10,500. Junior pilots are limited as to how much they put in their 401k by a percentage of income rule. But by the time they make captain, six years or so, they can save the full amount. The union administers the 401k. They provide a choice of several funds in which we can invest. Most are stock funds. There’s also a bond fund. Most of us have the money in the stock market.

Per Diem is $2.15 per hour away from base. It comes out to a little over $500 a month.

Free space available travel for my immediate family and myself. Children until they reach the age of 21. There’s also some free travel for “significant others”. Singles can name a significant other. (This was put in place for gay people since they can’t legally marry in most states.)

That’s it I think. Some of the other majors have Defined Benefit retirements, and/or Defined Contribution plans, uniform allowances, parking, etc.

29th Nov 2000, 02:07
Hey DEFPOTEC. penultimate line of the eye chart, Dr..... Dallas, right?

caravan
29th Nov 2000, 23:39
Once again thanks a lot Defpotec.
I am actually an American flying in the gulf and was wondering whether i should come back and maybe start with a major US airline.
I have visited the a website and it gave the payscales for United flight crew and the pay is quite good. How much does the average flight crew pay in tax %? Do you have an allowance to pay for your children's school?

DEFPOTEC
30th Nov 2000, 04:41
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Hey DEFPOTEC. penultimate line of the eye chart, Dr..... Dallas, right?</font>

Yes. You got it. :)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">How much does the average flight crew pay in tax %?</font>

I am not sure. I think it will be 28 to 30% range.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Do you have an allowance to pay for your children's school?</font>

No.

Companies like jet-jobs can give you a detailed comparison of all the US majors. I think they are all hiring now. I know UAL is looking for 1,000 pilots. It’s a good time to get on with a major.