PDA

View Full Version : Brookfield Contract

redout
18th Aug 2007, 15:40
Hey,

Could someone please explain to me what the brookfield contract is exactly. Is it just a 6 month contract with ryanair that does not necessairly guarantee employment at the end of it. If after the contract is expired and you are offered employment by ryanair is it a more long term contract or just something similar. I guess what I am asking is, is if there is any job security with the ryanair contract if offered one after brookfield ?

thx

skyflyer737
19th Aug 2007, 10:44
A Brookfield contract may or may not be offered to you after your initial 6 month training contract with Ryanair.

If you join as a cadet, you'll do your 6 month training contract (or realistically more like 3 months) and you'll then be offered a position as Ryanair crew on either a Ryanair contract or Brookfield contract. With either, the job security is more or less the same - you're on a 3 month notice period.

redout
19th Aug 2007, 12:54
3 Months notice sounds depressing.

thx

skyflyer737
19th Aug 2007, 17:29
Why does it sound depressing? One to three months notice is the norm in most professional jobs. Do you expect them to guarantee you a job for a year or something?!

redout
19th Aug 2007, 18:27
I am referring to the fact that if you are constantly being placed on a short term contract then yes it is very depressing knowing that every 6 or 12 months whatever the case may be that you could find yourself out on your arse.

"One to three months notice is the norm in most professional jobs"

and no I certainly dont know many jobs that offer you such a short contract as mentioned above and have such a risk involved of not getting it renewed.

redout
19th Aug 2007, 18:49
I have just found in another ryanair post that the brookfields contract is 5 years with 3 months notice to leave. That changes my point of view intirly.

As I said above I did not know the duration of the brookfield contract when I wrote the previous post and presumed it was only 6 or 12 months. Now knowing the details I would certainly agree that 3 months notice is acceptable.

RAT 5
19th Aug 2007, 19:47
Read the small print if you change from a BRK contract to RYR contract. It could cost you a bundle. scam!

WelshRambler
22nd Aug 2007, 12:06
As someone who is just starting his or her training contract, what choice (if any) does one have in taking his or her preferred Brookfield or Ryanair contract?

My training contract states nothing about Brookfield, and I'm tempted to insist upon Ryanair employment. Has anyone else been through this, i.e. they were offered Brookfield and refused in favour of becoming Ryanair staff? Were there any incentives/penalties for taking/not taking Brookfield ? Is there much difference at the end of the day?

Many thanks!

the grim repa
22nd Aug 2007, 12:50
welsh rambler - of course you have a choice,accept what you are offered or f**k off.not my words.

WelshRambler
22nd Aug 2007, 16:54
Is that a f**k off without me having to pay anything back for base/line training?

the grim repa
22nd Aug 2007, 17:17
That will be cash in advance for you to complete that part pilgrim.the money only goes one way in this here organisation.

WelshRambler
23rd Aug 2007, 09:08
What I meant was there anything for me to pay. The contract states the cost of base training and line training need to be paid for if I don't take employment (if offered) with Ryanair. But it says nothing about accepting/refusing Brookfield.

bonernow
23rd Aug 2007, 16:57
Welshrambler,

I am ex Ryanair and was once faced with the exact same scenario as you pose, i.e upon completion of my line training I was "ordered" to go on a Brookfield Contract and told that it was Brookfield or nothing else. I called their bluff and thanked them for their training and announced I was off to another airline.

Within days I recieved a phone call from the flight ops manager offering me a Ryanair contract with a choice of bases, one of them being the actual base I wanted!

If you hold out for a Ryanair contract (And can afford to because you won't be flying much) then my experience shows that if you stand your ground with Ryanair, you can win a battle with them.

Good luck whatever you decide.

WelshRambler
27th Aug 2007, 10:21
Thanks Bonernow, and good on you.

One of the guys training with me said that if you go with a Ryanair contract you wouldn't be flying as much. Can I ask roughly how much you were flying? I couldn't quite understand why Ryanair would put their own staff at a disadvantage either (then again, in my previous life my last employee treated contractors like royalty and regularly shafted their own staff).

As for myself, I would like to hold out for the Ryanair contract, but to be honest, we are so broke at this stage, that may force my hand! I'll have to see closer to the time - I've got to get through my base check and line training first!

Thanks, WR.