PDA

View Full Version : Personal Pension Plans

COWPAT
25th Nov 2000, 18:03
As an expat, earning an ok salary but no company pension scheme I am keen to find a good company to start a Personal Pension Plan with.

Anyone with info can either post or EMail me direct.

Many thanks.

flufdriver
28th Nov 2000, 22:19
I am in much the same situation, I therefore started investing in a conservative offshore mutual fund some years ago and continue to do so on a monthly basis, on average the value of the units (shares) has increased at a rate of approx.15% per annum, although, so far this year it has just remained even. I also invest in some other ways such as real estate, this way I hope to have created my own financial security.

tired
30th Nov 2000, 01:48
flufdriver - would you mind telling me which fund that is? If you don't want to post it here, would you mind emailing the address in my profile? (Don't worry, I'll check it out to my own satisfaction before investing, so won't be banging on your door yelling "bad advice" in a few years time!!)

Thanks

flufdriver
3rd Dec 2000, 04:28
Tired, I have some money with a Fund of the Bank of Butterfield (Bermuda) and some with a Family of Funds out of Guernsey. You should be able to to get loads of information on this type of investment from any Bank that has an investment section or any brokerage house. Beware of those that only recommend their own Fund! Also check the fee structure, educate yourself!

G-OOFY
3rd Dec 2000, 15:02
Monthly payment to Foriegn and Colonial zero dividend preferance shares exellent growth rate since I started. Recommend it to anyone. Added bonus is there are no fees to manage your fund (split between X-thousand investors)so you don't find your cash lines the pockets of the men in red braces. Had to do this as the company scheme is awful 3% of salary (5-10% seems normal in Balpa and IPA's pay scales).

Wig Wag
5th Dec 2000, 23:57
G-OOFY:-

Interested to see that you have your pension in Foreign and Colonial zero dividend preference shares. I have my AVC's in the F&C Investment Trust. It has, so far, done well for me. And, without expensive commission and plan charges too.

However . . . I have been looking round for some good Zero's but cannot find them on the F&C website.

Got any more details?

OC41
8th Dec 2000, 23:55
G-OOFY
Would you be able to supply ctc details for F+C as i'm a bit vague when it comes to Pensions. I too have a 3% contribution from my Airline ( leading Airtouring Co ) but i'm a poor OpsBod whereas the Nigels get 10%..
and more time off, but i'mnot bitter and twisted - honest

G-OOFY
9th Dec 2000, 16:50
Okay here's the Gen for all;

Got a bit confused with my first reply (quick one due positioning to STN again sigh!) so I'll correct my errors.

My portfolio contains two funds which I confused and named into one fund on my reply.
Foreign & Colonial Investment Trust PLC Private Investor plan is the first. Triples your money every ten years!

Not bad. No nasty fees which absorb all the compounding growth. Note this is not a pension persay but as long as you keep yourself under the £7000 capital gains tax threshold you'll do alright.

Check their web-site <A HREF="http://www.fandc.co.uk" TARGET="_blank">www.fandc.co.uk</A>

REALLY RECOMEND THEM.

Wig Wag:- This is the same fund as yours

Now what I was confusing it with was Exeter Investment Groups "Exeter zero preference fund" +9.19%pa however there are fees which dig into this. I have decided to rid myself of this and buy more F&C stock.

Exeters Email is; [email protected] if you want more info. or <A HREF="http://www.exeter-oeic.co.uk" TARGET="_blank">www.exeter-oeic.co.uk</A>

Pension with the company is 3% contribution which they match. Have been advised not to put in more than the company will. Take note everyone.

As for other portfolio stuff recomend Abbey National, price goes up and down a bit but hang on in there. Nice dividend every 6 months!

Vodaphone looks good, as does Telewest and have you seen how cheap BT stock is at the moment. I'm thinking of getting some of these.

Lastly some Government stock to cover myself for when it all falls over as it will no-doubt do at some point in the future.

I'm no fund manager but there it is if you want it.

Cheers G-OOFY