PDA

View Full Version : Speaking English on 123.45

VH-XXX
18th Aug 2007, 07:49
Guys, does anyone know if it is a requriement to use the English language when chatting on 123.45 (or any channel for that matter)? I realise all comms with tower etc are meant to be in English, however was wondering if that applies to chat channel. Had a couple of pilots hogging the chat channel today with Asian native speak and were totally oblivious to requests to use the channel. If it's legal I'll wire up a scrambler!

scrambler
18th Aug 2007, 08:30
I thought it was a requirement to speak English on the air-bands. AIP 4.8.1 Gen refers, I am guessing that 123.45 would be opened to interpretation?
I think that we those "chatting" on 123.45 should re read AIP Gen 3.1.5 where they will realise that this frequency is for use in exchanging operational information and not for a good old chat.
Wire me up!

ForkTailedDrKiller
18th Aug 2007, 08:51
An unexplained open mic would probably move them on!

Dr :cool:

VH-XXX
18th Aug 2007, 09:48
Well I may have tried that DrKiller however they were oblivious to my crude remarks! If I knew what they were saying it would have been very interesting.

Lasiorhinus
18th Aug 2007, 15:05
What, precisely, about this episode did you find so compromising of safety that you felt the need to 'move them on'?

Was it that they were blocking the frequency? Its 123.45:mad:; its not as though you were unable to get in touch with Approach or anything.

Or was it that you simply didnt understand the conversation? They are pilots also, and as such have had to meet a certain standard of English*, and clearly are able to speak another language as well. Perhaps some effort on your part in learning the language would enable you to join in next time.

Perhaps they were student pilots, on solo navs, in a great big scary expanse of nowhere, talking to each other to help each other accurately navigate, and get through the flight. 123.45 would be a great channel for this- as it DOESNT GET IN ANYONE ELSE'S WAY.

AerocatS2A
18th Aug 2007, 15:40
I've said this before on here, may as well say it again.

123.45 is used in oceanic areas for air to air operational comms (check the enroute charts :ok:.) Such useful things as position broadcasts and arranging separation. It can be very annoying when some clowns are discussing last nights activities when others would like to use the frequency to avoid having a midair with a helicopter.

VH-XXX
19th Aug 2007, 01:20
Nice one Lasiorhinus (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=66041), so like I'm gonna learn 16 dialecs of the languages of the Asian kind :D

Whilst I only know one language, the world-wide accepted aviation language "ENGLISH" I am smart enough to know that the communications weren't Aviation related! Perhaps if they were on a solo nav, which I suspect they were, they could have been concentrating on the job of navigating!

Aerocat - it's designated in the AIP's as the chat channel no matter where you are, however it shouldn't be jammed up with meaningless crap.

the wizard of auz
19th Aug 2007, 02:07
why not??. thats what chatting is, and why they have a designated channel for it.
whatever language they were using is completely up to them. Unless it had anything to do with you, you had no need to understand it at all.
Buddy, build a bridge........... then get over it.
P.S. so, I was wondering about your nav comment. do you navigate 100% of the time your flying, to the point that you cannot do anything else??? like have a chat or ask your mate a question??....... nah, didn't think so. :hmm:

scrambler
19th Aug 2007, 03:59
123.45 IS NOT the designated chat channel. It is to be used for operational requirements.

Lasiorhinus
19th Aug 2007, 04:01
Scrambler:

How do you know the conversation in question was NOT about matters of an operational nature?

scrambler
19th Aug 2007, 04:49
Sorry, dont get me wrong, I cannot comment on the circumstances from the first poster, just pointing out what the frequency is designated for. I agree with you that if the aircraft concerned were discussing operational requirements well good on them and realistically regardless of what language.
I can recall a time when a couple of parties spent 15 minutes organising social functions on 123.45.

aldee
19th Aug 2007, 05:44
Last time I looked english is the international language & oz is an english speaking country,why should the rest of us learn a different language to understand what being spoken over the airwaves?

Wheres Pauline Hanson

rotcivtolip
19th Aug 2007, 05:49
You don't have to understand anything if the conversation isn't directed at you.

the wizard of auz
19th Aug 2007, 06:16
That was my point as well

SmokingHole
19th Aug 2007, 06:36
could you really tell it wasn't engrish they were attempting to speak?
And where the hell is cunderin and barridoo?:confused:

socks and thongs
19th Aug 2007, 06:49
Don't fret too much there, Pauline Hanson is not far away at all. In fact she's right here, and she has been making posts under your user name!

aldee
19th Aug 2007, 07:04
prease exprain?

but seriously whats wrong with the english language being used in an english speaking country?

VH-XXX
19th Aug 2007, 08:11
Bring back Pauline you say, time for some ethnic cleansing:=

When I said "chat" channel in AIP's, I meant chat as in operations etc etc, so not personal stuff, which is the point of what I was saying in the first post... they were using it for non aviation and it was in a foreign language which is what I thought was not legal.

In the words of Samuel L Jackson, "ENGLISH MOTHER F:mad:, do you speak it?"

Lasiorhinus
19th Aug 2007, 10:06
they were using it for non aviation

How do you know?

Argh..:ugh::ugh:

I cant believe we are still discussing this. The conversation didnt concern you. Move on with your life.

VH-XXX
19th Aug 2007, 10:55
Like I said pal, I know enough to know it wasn't aviation. Name an aviation topic that would mean lots of giggling and laughing in any language? Some people... namely you give me the irrits.

Whiskey Oscar Golf
19th Aug 2007, 14:12
Sorry triple x but "name an aviation topic that has lots of giggles and laughing". Terms and conditions in australian aviation would be one, especially if you're off to SIA.

DeltaSix
20th Aug 2007, 00:33
Geeezaasss --- Relax everyone..... this is almost the same as that woman who used the word "Fair Dinkum" in an american flight and got into trouble.

Are we gonna do the same just because they weren't speaking in English ?

If they were clogging up the airways just tell them and I'm sure they'd understand and shut up. I didn't think an occasional yarn in your own speak would do any harm. I've even accidentally heard QF pilots coming from overseas asked who won the cricket over the airways.

SmokingHole
20th Aug 2007, 13:57
So you couldn't understand what they were saying and you couldn't get a word in edgewise. Woopdy doo:uhoh:

Haven't you ever tried to cancel sar through flightwatch on HF after dark. All you'll hear are our northern neighbours telling each other where the fish are, in fact, instead of HF they should call it PFruNe (HN). No body told them they have to speak english! Although I believe there is now a recorded message played on HF telling them to please crank down the amps on their sets.

Or try to get a taxi call to ML Centre in the southern half of WA at 8am.
Join the queue!

Be tolerant, people probably are with you daily.:ouch: