PDA

View Full Version : Single Engine I/R and then Multi

Pilotdom
17th Aug 2007, 21:26
Evening all,

Apologies if this question has been asked before.....

Ive ambitions to go commercial with a flying career. However ive been looking courses etc and at the nearest airfield wiht any twins id be paying £250.00 an hour for a multi I/R. Im in a group at the moment where I can fly an airways equipped Archer 3 for £70 and hour. Im thinking about doing a single engine I/R and then doing a twin rating etc. What are the rules for converting an I/R to a twin I/R? Do you guys think this route is sensible? Is a multi I/R the same as a single I/R or is there extra training involved etc?

Many thanks for your help in advance

PD

BlueRobin
18th Aug 2007, 09:46
It's in LASORS under section E Instrument Rating. Do you know where to find it online? :)

SE IR(A) to ME IR(A)*
a. 5 hours instrument time under instruction in ME
aeroplanes, which may include (b);
b. 3 hours in FNPT II or Flight Simulator if approved
by CAA;
c. Pass a ME IR(A) Skill Test with a UK CAA Staff
Flight Examiner.
* The holder of a SE IR(A) wishing to upgrade to ME
IR(A) shall either hold a multi-engine type/class rating,
or have at least completed an approved course of
training for the ME class rating.

So in effect you'll need to do two skills test and budget for the possibility of partialling both.

I'd personally not fly the Archer unless is serviceability and suitably is totally assured.

capt.sparrow
18th Aug 2007, 15:47
£250 an hour for multi IR is a good deal so I'd go for that.

Pilotdom
18th Aug 2007, 18:37
Thanks BR, I could probably have got an answer from you on the FLYER forums. The Archer is grouped aircraft and I can be sure of it servicabilty and its suitability. Id not thought about the 2 skills tests etc so ill have another look at that. Thanks both for your responses.

Dom

BlueRobin
20th Aug 2007, 18:46
Oh THAT Dom :p