PDA

View Full Version : best buy jaa/Fr/atpl route

frank einstein
17th Aug 2007, 19:44
Hi guys, I've been there asking the questions, calculating the risk..etc,etc..Then I just went 'Ah! B*llocks just bloody do it' and I did..
Almost ten years later I can sympathise with anyone in the early stages and more with those in the midst of the Nav exam studies and even more with those out there scraping more money together to complete the 'bitch' that is 'the instrument rating'. Good luck!! ( isnt " ah! you'll be alright" the most irritating line of support from those other than your instructor....).
Anyhoo, I'm totally out of the current 'loop' when it comes to advice for potential pilots out there and I have just had an old mate call me up for just that.
So, where is the current 'best buy' in FR/Atpl courses and which literature should be being absorbed in the meantime..pre PPL course, are the Trevor Thom books still relevant??
It is all worth it in the end..dont listen to them!! Cheers

Mercenary Pilot
17th Aug 2007, 21:37
frank einstein

Sounds like you've had a few tonight...good man! :ok:

My advice...

Do a PPL in the UK if you live near a good school (otherwise save your cash and go to USA) Trevor Thoms are still good but my personal recommendation is the AFE Jeremy Pratt books.

After that, Book in for JAA ATPL ground school (Best for modular are Bristol or CATS)...14 exams 6-12 months, bit of a bastard but you can now buy online question banks which make it much much easier. After you get through all that, get you ass over to america for some hour building...none of the elitist GA bull**** you get over here and FAR FAR more fun.

Then its a case of cost CPL/ME? if money is an issue then stay in the US or if not then back to the UK and book in at a decent school and do it all in one go with the IR. The IR is still tough!!!

Or book in for a Integrated course...Oxford or Jerez. :ok:

It is all worth it in the endSure is...although I thought the money would be better ;)

ruffino
18th Aug 2007, 02:52
Its a bit of an old cliche these days but "If he wants to fly in the UK, train in the UK"....
I did my PPL abroad but when i returned to the UK it took me a good 10 hours to get up to UK standards.
ppl training in the UK is slowly getting cheaper whilst travelling abroad (esp the states) is getting more restrictive.

In a nutshell, we have the best pilot training in the world right on our door step. Support uK flight training. taking the cheaper,apparently easier route will only come back to haunt you at some point during your training, trust me ive got the t-shirt!

There are a few schools very close to you that offer very attractive packages, do your research!

"if you can fly well here, you can fly anwhere in the world with ease"

Darn i quoted another one !!!!

ciao!

Mercenary Pilot
18th Aug 2007, 08:09
However I will add, there are also quite a few rubbish schools in the UK....especially where IR's are concerned. ruffino is right though, Do your research!

Also TRTO's in the UK have a particularly bad reputation among those who are paying for a type rating...but in the current climate, you probably shouldn't be self funding a TR anyway.

:ok:

frank einstein
18th Aug 2007, 09:56
Thanks guys, all very useful.. Ruffino: agreed! I did PPl and 150 hrs in Orlando and felt like I was starting all over again on return to the UK. I wasn't sure what the Jerez deal was all about..being as the flying cultures are similar, is that a reasonable route through nowadays?

Merc.pilot.. My head is in bandages this morning thx to a run in with messrs Julio an Gallo!

The money,(although ultimately public perception would put us ahead of a Tesco's assistant manager ,salary wise..reality..not!) does get better, the seats get more comfy and the food more bearable!!

Thanks again fellas,