PDA

View Full Version : books for SAPPL

robczech
17th Aug 2007, 15:46
Hi,could you advise me on the books needed for PPL in SA please? thank you

ITO
17th Aug 2007, 16:55
Hi ! Well, there is a lot, but the most used are the AVEX notes. If you are going furthere on your training, they will provide you also with CPL/ATPL ones.

Good luck !

robczech
17th Aug 2007, 19:43
thx a lot.

EladElap
22nd Aug 2007, 09:37
Robczech, great choice in chosing sunny South Africa to do your PPL! What part of the country will you be training at, hopefully somewhere near the coastline so you can enjoy a few hours on the beach in between flying!

As far as a good ppl manual, I'd definitly stick to either the AFE or Trevor Thom set. All though they are all european text books, everything apart from airlaw and some of the radio prcedures will be the same. The AVEX notes are great for CPL and ATPL but not very "asthetically pleasing" on the eyes... AFE and Trevor Thom keep it simple and have lots of great colour photos and diagrams to keep you engaged in the topic!

Hope this help!

robczech
4th Sep 2007, 17:05
thank you EladElap
i am going end of september start of november, but still struggling with the major rest of the story 'how to choose the best school for CPL and become employable'. i am considering SA PPL in port elizabeth with algoa and FAA ir+cpl with phoenix east in florida. Have you heard of them?
best regards robczech

Leezyjet
4th Sep 2007, 20:57
Definately buy the Trevor Thom book 1, Algoa use this book for their training excercises like alot of other flying schools. You can then read up on the excersises you will be flying before you go and fly them.

I did my PPL with them a couple of years ago, and I bought TT1, 2 and 7. The latter 2 were bought so I could read up on the info for flying in the UK when I came back.

You will enjoy Algoa, it's a good club and close to the beach.

:ok:

EladElap
5th Sep 2007, 06:03
robczech:

Algoa is a really good flying club to learn to fly at! Have not been there myself, but have spoken to a number of students who enjoyed their time there.

Not sure about the school in Florida, not too clued up on schools there, but maybe someone else can help you with them.

Any reason you not doing your full CPL in South Africa, makes sense, especially with the new ppl emams here! They are a lot more difficult, but lead up to the CPL exams a lot better! I.E. Great prep. Hours cheaper here too! good luck!

robczech
5th Sep 2007, 18:47
EladElap:

i think i have been browsing the internet and different school tooooo long :confused:. i just realised that i ended up without knowing anything.
i have finally decided for the SA PPL because of the references, lovely county, the ocean and the price of course. because i am leaving my wife behind me i have to do my cpl more closely to europe. the flight tickets to the usa aren't as expensive as those to the sa and she can go and visite me more often over there. regardless of that that the cpl in PE starts as lately as february. the other reason is to do the faa along with the jaa. and by choosing the right school i could progress quite fast.
the thing is to find the best option with the certain amount of money, time etc. but this is what everybody in here is after isn't it?...
thank you for your advice about the books. to be honest i didn' have any idea about the testing changes in the sa.
have a good a lovely piloting time wherever you are.

robczech
5th Sep 2007, 18:51
:ok:thx LeezyJet.
i will try to read up as much as i can:)