PDA

View Full Version : definitive answer....Unfreezing ATPL

randomair
17th Aug 2007, 15:01
I know its prob been asked before, but can i unfreeze my ATPL after a OPC providing that the TRE conducts a ATPL skill test on the same day?

thanks

randomair

mbcxharm
18th Aug 2007, 14:19
Yes. Bit of semantics here, but by saying 'conducts an ATPL skills test' you are implying that all the things required for the ATPL skills test that are not included in an OPC would be done. (i.e. some stuff which would also be in an LPC + the manually flown raw data ILS).

The way it was done for me was that I turned up for my sim, can't even remember whether it was an OPC or LPC, and said that I was able to unfreeze my licence with an ATPL skills test. Over the course of the 2 days we just made sure we ticked all the boxes both for the OPC and the ATPL skills test. i.e. we didn't finish the LPC/OPC and then say 'right, now for the ATPL skills test'...

(Of course, this is probably completely a function of which TRE you get on the day, some are probably more clued up about the requirements than others due to the fact that it is a relatively (under JAR) new requirement to have the ATPL LST)

randomair
20th Aug 2007, 21:34
Thanks for the responses guys...6months will make a big differance in terms of the coin!

cheers

randomair

potkettleblack
20th Aug 2007, 23:06
Give the trainers a good amount of notice as well. There might be some paperwork and advance notice given in advance. I know that in Ireland for example the IAA reserve the right to sit in on the jumpseat for the skill test. Not sure what the other JAA countries do but better to be safe than sorry.