PDA

View Full Version : How do you set MS Photo Viewer as default?

Gingerbread Man
17th Aug 2007, 10:59
Hello,

Every time I want to view a picture, slow ass Adobe PhotoElements starts weedling its way towards working, and isn't even very good for simply viewing pictures. Presumably my father installed it and checked a "use this for everything all the time" box. Does anyone know how I can reverse this?

Many thanks

Ginger ;)

BOAC
17th Aug 2007, 14:36
Windows? XP?

On that assumption, My Computer, Tools/Folder Options/File Types and change the associated file type opener. Should be the same in 98/2000. Not sure about Vista. Equally you could go into Adobe and untick the boxes.

extreme P
17th Aug 2007, 14:46
Or... Right click the picture and select Properties. Select the button titled Change and select what program you would like to be the default. Can be different for different image file types.

Saab Dastard
17th Aug 2007, 15:09
To associate graphics file formats with Photo Editor

When you "associate" an image file type with a program, double-clicking an image of that type automatically starts that program and loads the image. You can associate GIF, JPEG, PCD (Kodak Photo CD), PCX, PNG, TGA, TIFF, and BMP graphic file formats with Photo Editor.

Change the program that starts when you open a file:

Many file types in Windows are registered to be opened by a particular program. For example, Paint starts when you double-click a BMP file. You can change which program starts when you open a file.

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click Options on the View menu.
Click the File Types tab.
In the Registered file types box, click the one you want to change.
Click Edit.
In the Actions box, click open.
Click Edit.
In the Application used to perform action box, type the path to the program you want to use to open files of the selected file type. Or click Browse to select the path from a folder list.

HTH

SD

Gingerbread Man
9th Sep 2007, 20:11
I completely forgot I had started this thread until I re-encountered the problem today and dug it out. I just wanted to say thank you.

Cheers :ok: