PDA

View Full Version : QF S/O's Question

AllInGoodTime
17th Aug 2007, 06:33
Hi
Just interested to know, depending on A/c type you are on, do S/O's get enough time off to have a part-time job like instructing. Now, don't have a go, this is not a wind up. I just wanted to know if you have a enough time off to work a day a week or so doing some part-time instructing if you wanted to keep your hand in instructing?
Thanks

tinpis
17th Aug 2007, 06:39
Who do you reckon owns your flying hours? :hmm:

morno
17th Aug 2007, 07:20
I think he must be confused Tin, he thinks he owns his flying hours, :}

Keg
17th Aug 2007, 08:29
Your time off won't be regular enough to commit to a day a week. You'll be there one week, miss the next two, be home for the next two, miss three, etc, etc. As others have pointed out though, you don't 'own' your flying hours and as a S/O you'll often be close to max duty and/or stick hours a lot of the time meaning that your ability to pick and choose days to fly will be significantly reduced.

If you're in QF then about the only hope for other forms of instructing is going to be with some defence leave and the RAAF or AAFC.

Tankengine
17th Aug 2007, 08:41
Assuming you are not on max hrs and duty time permits then QF allows you to do PRIVATE flying up to 100 hrs per year and 10 hrs per month.
You must inform QF of all flying so they can track hrs. I doubt they would regard commercial instructing as private flying.

Z Force
17th Aug 2007, 08:54
How are defence force hours considered in the scheme of things. Are they included in the 900 hours or is there some sort of dispensation?

slice
17th Aug 2007, 09:01
The last time I saw an QF offer of employment letter it specifically stated that all other employment and aviation business related activity must cease upon commencement of of QF employment.