PDA

View Full Version : Aerodynamics and Aircraft Systems Query?

HappyBandit
17th Aug 2007, 05:59
Just curious how similar are the practice questions from AFT course to the CASA exam?

Anyone else find that that they had information overload with this subject?

AerocatS2A
17th Aug 2007, 06:03
The questions are all fairly similar though I think CASA constantly strive to confuse you with words.

There were no great surprises.

das Uber Soldat
17th Aug 2007, 06:03
almost identical, with a large majority of the questions represented near verbatim on the practice exams you recieve when doing the course. I passed it first go, 90%.

Rhysb33
17th Aug 2007, 08:39
Pretty much the same. If you do all AFTs practice exams twice over and remember it, you will pass. Although there is always the odd curly one. I did systems today.

Swanie
17th Aug 2007, 11:43
still haven't come across someone that knows of an aircraft fitted with a "cabin compressor" let alone know what the hell one is..:ugh:

Near Miss
17th Aug 2007, 12:08
I think it is called CFIT... :E

On Guard
18th Aug 2007, 01:08
Cabin Compressor is used for pressurization sometimes called an Engine driven compressor EDC. Blows the cabin up like a balloon, then you have the outflow valves that control the amount of air exiting the cabin so that the cabin does not become over pressurized and exceed psi limits. Safety valve is a backup to the outflow valve if this fails to open. Safety valve will open at a slightly higher psi than the outflow. the outflow constantly closes and opens to maintain pressure desired in the cabin eg 8000ft.

make sense?

Systems - good, questions very similar, the written ones are more current than the cybers. Make sure you keep up to date each night on the course or you will get behind.

A lot of info that you just have to jam in.

Swanie
18th Aug 2007, 01:48
I understand how a general pressurisation system works, What I meant was, that of the people I've asked, not one has come across a part/component called a "cabin compressor":bored:

mustafagander
18th Aug 2007, 11:54
Swanie, take a look at older British a/c. Most of the pressurised ones used "cabin compressors" or "cabin superchargers" to supply the necessary air. They were an engine driven "Rootes Blower" actually. Google that. Almost invariably automotive superchargers (not turbochargers) are Rootes blowers.
If you want to know about the consequences of certain failure modes, research the Viscount crash in WA (Pt Headland?) in the long ago. They did not like to be starved of lube oil!

sprocket check
22nd Aug 2007, 05:34
I am 100% with you HB.

Aerodynamics for me was an exercise in bewilderment. AFT book is nothing like the exam (almost). Although the information is mostly there, the questions in the exam were so oblique and offputting that I ended up screwing up the obvious. Maybe I'm just an idiot...

Definitely buy a different book.

There are questions in the exam that weren't in the textbooks, go figure.