PDA

View Full Version : Mess Visit

Busdude
16th Aug 2007, 22:17
Hi Guys:
I am a retired Canadian Air Force CF-18 (439 Sqn) pilot living in NE Scotland. I attend the Leuchars Air Show when I'm in town and enjoy watching the targets (I mean Tornados) flying over my house. I am missing a good beer call and would like to pitch up In Leuchars or Lossie (I was there for a few JMCs in the early 90's) to catch up with the banter. How would I go about getting myself invited to a TGIF? First beer is on me.

OCCWMF
17th Aug 2007, 07:50
The Navs, sorry - WSOs won't like it! A pilot who flew by himself? You might give their boys and girls ideas. Speak to a flight commander on a front-line sqn. Probably your best chance, although I reckon the offer of a barrel would sweeten your chances!

Wensleydale
17th Aug 2007, 09:51
You might find that the offer of a CF-18 presentation to Station followed by the beer call may prove more successful? Its amazing what can be achieved under the guise of Force Developement training.

Knight Paladin
17th Aug 2007, 15:12
Say there, what's all this aboot?

BEagle
17th Aug 2007, 19:16
Eh?

sittingstress
18th Aug 2007, 00:46
You oot an aboot the night, eh?

lgw
18th Aug 2007, 03:19
Again the oxymoron of British humour is seen. :)

Busdude, contact the Canadian exchange officer up there. He should be able to help you out.

Cheers.

Shot to the Beach
18th Aug 2007, 03:33
As mentioned above - both squadrons at Leuchars have or have had exchange pilots from across the pond. Contact either / both Sqns and I'm sure they'll host you for a happy hour. You would possibly be eligible for honorary mess membership as one of our 'commonwealth' brothers.

STTB

Seldomfitforpurpose
18th Aug 2007, 08:50
Rather sad indictment really as I doubt our Canadian brothers and sisters would be demanding a barrel etc if the roles were reversed. Having been hosted by them on a few occasions and seen how well we are received at their air shows it beggars belief that this chap cant get a "free" invite to a bloody happy hour for fecks sake :rolleyes:

teeteringhead
18th Aug 2007, 15:18
Busdude

I would guess (assuming you're fairly permanently established in Jockistan) that you are very likely eligible for some sort of honorary/affiliated/retired membership of the Mess. As suggested, go via the PMC and/or the present Canadian exchange officer.

I know of a nearby (to Teetering Towers) ex-Service organisation - the RNA - that has an ex wartime U-Boat sailor as a member.........:ok:

Fly380
18th Aug 2007, 16:18
Leuchars Airshow 2007?

The RAF Leuchars Battle of Britain Charity Ball is a one-off event being held this year with the annual Airshow unable to take place due to runway resurfacing work. Any information you read referring to the Airshow on this site refers to last year's event. :{

CAF_BamBam
23rd Aug 2007, 04:33
Yo BD,

send me a PM with your email details, handle and a brief recount of your time at 439.

I'm on exchange at Lossie, and if we can connect soon enuf, I might get you on the BoB dinner -14 Sept, as an honorary guest of 14Sqn.

BamBam
ex-433

My Mrs did some OJT at 439 early 90's, so she might know, or choose not to know you.