PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 and Class 2 medicals

Roll off the top
16th Aug 2007, 20:00
I've been undergoing pilot medicals for the last 15 years from a variety of AME's, firstly for class 2 then class 1 when I got my instructor rating & CPL. Seems to be a considerable variation in what is actually carried out -the standard stuff is eyesight, heart/lung function etc. but beyond that it varies quite a bit. Some insist on strip to underpants, others its just shirt off. Various things are tested, or not. Often wondered how the girls go on at their medicals - is it the same in variability of checks, and is it done clothed or in bra and knickers?
Do tell girls!

aero junkie
18th Aug 2007, 23:42
Good question! I've been woundering my self what procceses they have to go through as well. One would think bra and panties and with a female medical examiner, Could be wrong through:cool:

Bob the Doc
19th Aug 2007, 08:04
For proper heart and lung examination. Patient needs to be stripped to the waist. In my considerable experience of listening to chests, the most common sources of extraneous noise that confuse the examination are clothing. Bras are especially bad as they 'creak' on chest movement and can sound like abnormal breathing sounds.

If abdominal examination is part of the exam (and I am pretty certain it is - I am not an AME but I have done RAF flying medicals and it's certainly in ours) then the patient should technically be stripped from nipples to knees. There are a number of features of gastrointestinal disease that are visible on the skin. If a test for inginal (groin) hernias is part of the examination (not so sure about these. They are looked for in RAF medicals as the anti-G straining manouevre can cause herniae to pop out) then men will need to be underpant-less as well as some herniae go down into the scrotum. As ladies are deficient in certain anatomical parts, this is not an issue for women. That said, a full examination of the gastrointestinal system (for professional examination purposes) involves checking the external genitalia and so it is justifiable to expect ladies to strip completely as well.

As in all things, certain people are more thorough than others but it is certainly not unreasonable to expect the patient to strip completely. That said, if intimate parts of the anatomy are to be exposed/examined the patient is entitled to (and should probably request) a chaperone, especially if the examiner is a different sex to the examinee

Hope that helps

Bob

chipmunkj
20th Aug 2007, 07:55
I am female and have never had to "bare all" in 33 years of class 2 medicals, with many different AMEs.
The most i have ever been asked to do, is remove/move bra for ECG, lift blouse to listen to chest and loosen skirt to feel abdomen--- the rest of the time my clothes have stayed firmly on !!!
Good try "Bob the Doc"!!! :=

Bob the Doc
20th Aug 2007, 14:04
As I said, some are more thorough.

Hernias should in theory not be an issue unless performing aerobatics so checking for them probably less necessary in civ as opposed to mil medicals.

If you really want to examine the heart and lungs then the bra gets in the way, both physically and acoustically At least two of the areas you listen for various heart valves are covered by the bra and impossible to examine fully with it on. Lungs less of an issue unless the bra is very creaky!

chipmunkj
20th Aug 2007, 17:50
I think creaky bras went out in the 50's!!
So once again-- Good Try--- Bob the Doc!!!:=:=:=

Roll off the top
21st Aug 2007, 16:05
For class 2 medicals I never had to remove more than my shirt, but it got a lot more serious when I went for a class 1 - I've had 4 different AME's for my renewals at class 1 and they've all instructed me to take off everything down to my underpants (and they were taken down as well for hernia check/testicle examination). Maybe girls don't need checking for hernias?

Roll off the top

Bob the Doc
21st Aug 2007, 22:04
chipmunkj - I think creaky bras went out in the 50's!!
So once again-- Good Try--- Bob the Doc!!!:=:=:=

Then I'm afraid you have never listened to a lady's chest with a stethoscope. Mr BTG agrees. Says her bras often creak audibly even now. And no, they are not 50-year old bras

Whirlybird
22nd Aug 2007, 07:31
In ten years of medicals I've always been asked to remove my bra, and usually had to pull knickers down as low as possible to check for hernias etc. Actually, that's for a Class 1, can't remember back to Class 2...luckily they never test your memory at medicals. :) I've always been asked if I want a nurse or other female present, and I've always declined. I can't be bothered with the hassle of them finding someone who's free, and if any AME is really that desperate for a quick feel, he can be my guest! And the present one, who I've been going to for several years, treats me like a piece of meat anyway...quite reassuring actually. :)

But yes, you will have to remove most items of clothing, and if you're female and have a male AME, you're entitled to a chaperone...presumably the same for a man with a female AME; is anyone in this situation?

Shunter
22nd Aug 2007, 08:21
I had a female AME last time around. Strangely enough they've seen it all before. Neither of us batted an eyelid as she flicked the sausage out the way to get to what she wanted.

Roll off the top
22nd Aug 2007, 09:56
Not sure I'd want my sausage flicked by male or female AME!

Canada Goose
22nd Aug 2007, 10:50
The AME I've used for the last 3 years doesn't get that intimate. I was expecting the old 'Can you just pop our shorts down routine (sound of rubber gloves snapping on) but instead he placed his fingers into the stomach just near the pelvis and asks for a cough! Ahhhhhemmmm !!! :\

Bob the Doc
22nd Aug 2007, 12:29
One type of hernia pops through the abdominal wall about half-way along the crease formed by the thigh and the body. Another pops into the scrotum instead. That's why technically you should feel both. Most people don't