PDA

View Full Version : Oxford vs Jerez

16th Aug 2007, 19:36
I've been on here for hours reading about this (exhausted?) topic. I've learned a lot, but am also aware that lot's of the posts were a couple of years old.

I understand they're both respectable outfits, but am keen to hear some objective views from those that have also been looking into it this year. Also any current students at either outfit. Why you made your decision and if you're happy with it.

I'm leaning toward Jerez, perhaps for all the wrong reasons. I couldn't face winter in a classroom in Oxford. I didn't want to have to organise accommodation, and have heard average remarks about the halls of residence at Oxford. Living in Spain for a year really appeals, as does the pool, tennis court and gym. The full board option was also a huge consideration.

On the flying side they looked very similar to me, so it was more a lifestyle choice on my part.

I had pretty much made up my mind but there were a few remarks I read about job prospects being better at Oxford. These threw me a little as I was of the opinion that once you get an interview, the final decision is based on the results achieved in the recruitment process.

Many thanks.

captain_rossco
16th Aug 2007, 22:06
Howdie,

I'm living la vida Oxford Aviation at the moment, and cannot fault the place, wait no, its alot better than that!

From day one, you are made aware that YOU are the reason the school is here. The facilities are very good, gym, cafe etc. I am in Latton Hall, yes, the one that they are closing for reburb, and i can safely say although not the ritz, it's absoultely perfect for sleep, study, and more study. The rooms are kept clean and tidy (usually by the occupant) and are also treated to a once over every few days by OAT's in house legends.

As for an Oxford Winter in the classrooms, the jet traffic coming and going outside the window keeps us all entertained for a good few moments each lesson, as well as the teaching being of a faultless standard.

The Instructors here know their stuff, they are also well aware that altough only a certain level of knowledge is required for the exams, its reasonably important (in some subjects more than others) that a good level of background understanding in achieved.

The other students are pleasant enough, several of the boys along ye olde latton corridor have offered their help with anything (aviation based, i must add) that needs going over, and the staff will absolutely 100% bend over backwards to keep the boys and girls here happy. It's not about keeping you here, spending, it's because they are a good bunch, and know that a pleasant atmosphere is conducive to getting through the whole aviation training saga without slit wrists and heart complaint!

We're all having fun, there's loads going on, and better still, not a spaniard in sight. (Cue new labour pc brigade 'you can't say things like that' tosh, I just did).

I can't speak for Jerez, but am well aware its a cracking institution, I can however, speak (albeit very briefly) about Oxford. Pay them a visit, you'll not too upset I can assure you.

Kind Regards (and good luck with the choices)

CR

:ok:

Abbey415
17th Aug 2007, 12:55
CR

Are you integrated or modular?

DFLY
17th Aug 2007, 18:16
Hi just a quick question captain! Are you finding the training difficult? what stage are you at? i only ask as i am considering OAT's APP and wanted feedback from somebody on the course.
Kind regards
DFLY.

Flying Wild
18th Aug 2007, 16:35
The ground school isn't particularly difficult. It is simply a lot of information to take on board. If you put hard work in from the start of the ground school (i.e. going over the days work that evening, then reviewing the week at the weekend), then things should be 'relatively' easy. If you ever don't understand anything, the instructors are always willing to take the time to go over stuff, either in the lesson or afterwards.

Re-Heat
20th Aug 2007, 02:19
I had pretty much made up my mind but there were a few remarks I read about job prospects being better at Oxford.
Not heard that one before. You'll be fine with either.