PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew visas for delivery flights via USA

the_tartanterror
16th Aug 2007, 09:26
Hi there,

Can anyone give me a heads up on the type of US visa required for UK pilots delivering an aircraft to the UK with transit stops in USA,Canada and Iceland

Any help appreciated

flyingfemme
16th Aug 2007, 11:15
Sort of depends.....if you are arriving in the US with a return ticket on an approved airline with a UK passport then you don't need any visa. If you have a one-way ticket or are arriving in said aircraft from another country then you need a B1/B2 business visa. Aircrew visas are only generally available to airline staff.

the_tartanterror
16th Aug 2007, 12:32
Thanks,
The crew are UK airline staff, who will travel on a oneway ticket to the Carribean and will then arrive in the USA with the aircraft on the first leg of the delivery flight from the Carribean. They will have 1 further tech stop in the USA before landing in Canada.

Does that mean they will require a B-1/2 Visa or will a C-1 visa suffice?

Thanks

Life's a Beeze
16th Aug 2007, 12:42
Within the last year, when any of my non-airline, i.e corporate colleagues have applied for a B1/B2, they have also been automatically issued with C/D crew visas.

This is whether they have applied for crew visas or not.

When we arrived in our corporate airplane Immigration generally utilize the B1/B2.

:)

farmer jo
16th Aug 2007, 13:32
If you arrive on any private aircraft you will need a visa. B1/B2 will normally be okay but for regular crew normally a C1/D. When you apply the embassy will advise you. DO NOT TURN UP TO US WITHOUT VISA at best you will get a large fine for worse, the fine and told to leave !!
ATP

the_tartanterror
16th Aug 2007, 13:41
Thanks All , that is very helpful

Cheers
The TT

merlinxx
17th Aug 2007, 13:14
As operating crew of a private acft, and being the fact that you are operating crew of a UK carrier, you will/should hold B1/2 & D visas, so no sweat. Make sure you have your departure FBO info US all US authorities as normal. If the acft is "N" reg you must hold FAA tickets and/or auths. If not, all formalities for all non US reg acft apply. Expect customs to have a gander at you on arvl ex the Islands. Remember "get your departyre FBO to advz allcon at least 24 hrs prior to dept along with copy of intended FPL & onwards to "The Queen's North Western Colony". Get yourself a copy of Ac-u-kwik from Gillian George on 01344873880.

refplus20
18th Aug 2007, 11:09
Flying from the Caribbean to the US is no problem provided you are prepared. There is an informative booklet downloadable at http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/private_flyers.ctt/private_flyers.doc (http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/private_flyers.ctt/private_flyers.doc) which explains most of the procedures you'll need. Basically, coming from the Caribbean, you may only land at designated airports, which are listed in the above publication and it must be the closest to your US landfall. I would recommend planning your flight from the Caribbean to the US on the Atlantic routes (ARxx) which would make your landfall close to Wilmington NC. I have used this on many occasions and have always found the CBP officials friendly and professional. In fact we have been through there in less than 30 minutes being a quiet airport by American standards. I would avoid any of the Florida entry points - they can be very abrasive!

Visa wise, the Florida guys tend to like the B1/B2 visa whereas the Northeast officials seem to prefer the C1/D1 visas, but will accept the B1/B2 on most occasions. Don't ask why - it just a case of their interpretation.

If it's your first visit to the US in this aircraft then you will need a Customs Decal, $25, which you can pre-purchase by mail or buy on the spot. If you can get one before hand, then it will save you time on the day.

Another requirement is the form 178, a Customs inspection form. If you go to https://forms.customs.gov/customsrf/getformharness.asp?formName=cf-178-form.xft there is fillable, printable version of this form. Have it ready to hand to the CBP official on arrival. Also they will almost certainly request to see the Aircraft and Crew documentation so have it ready.

One more point - make sure you enter ADCUS in the remarks section of the Flight Plan. This will not guarantee, but will prompt Flight Service to notify CBP at your destination of your proposed arrival time. Send well ahead of time to CBP at your destination, all crew and passenger details and notify them of your ETA either just before departure of enroute via Satcom. In any case notify them at least 2 hours before arrival. The aforementioned Acu-Kwik has Customs details and contacts in the back of the publication.

Finally, when you park outside the Customs building, DO NOT GET OUT of the aircraft until given permission by the officer. Also have all perishable food such as fruit and meat bagged up separately for CBP disposal.

For Canada, you will need to use Canpass. details at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/canpass/

Hope this helps.

Have a good trip.

refplus20
18th Aug 2007, 11:17
Sorry, made a mistake, the User Decal Fee is now $27.50. Details at

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/user_fee/user_fee_decal.xml

Check 6
18th Aug 2007, 15:27
IMPORTANT! As of 2006 you can no longer purchase the customs decal when you land. They must be purchased on-line in advance.

fernytickles
20th Aug 2007, 12:42
Having gone through Wilmington, NC in the spring on the way back from the Bahamas I would strongly advise against using it as your port of entry. We had all our paperwork correct, had been out of the country for less than 2 hours and, in my case, have encountered a good cross section of the different types of customs officers America can produce. I have never had to deal with such unprofessional, patronising and down right rude people before. Throwing my passport back across the desk at me, challenging me to prove why I should be allowed back in the country (my toothbrush is still in Wisconsin....:uhoh:), and then doing the same to my American colleague. Talk about "little Hitlers", these guys took the biscuit.
In contrast, the FBO was very nice and helpful and had a few choice comments to make about their customs neighbours.